Thread: Lancaster III JB230 GT-S - lost 24/6/44

Thanks

Default Lancaster III JB230 GT-S - lost 24/6/44

Dear all,

I hope that someone can help with the cause of the loss of the above 156 Sqn a/c. Chorley's BCL mentions that it came down at Zuytpeene (Nord), 4 Km WSW of Cassel, but can anyone give me anymore info as to the circs please?

TIA

Jonny

Thanks

hello

I presume 'circs' stands for 'circumstances' ?

I've researched this case as it's more or less local for me. This Lancaster was shot down by a night fighter, homebound, after bombing Coubronne V1 site. The first of four Lancasters shot down during the return flight (followed by two of No. 7 Squadron and the last one was the crew of 35 Squadron, at the franco-belgian border, more probably in Belgium or in the sea off Belgium).

I confirm the crash site in Zuytpeene. Although a PFF unit, No. 156 Squadron was bombing Coubronne as a 'main force' Squadron.

F/Sgt John Eric PRICE survived to become a prisoner of war. He has left a 'liberation report' at Kew, but this document was stolen many years ago. I have his PoW questionnaire but it doesn't give much details.

P/O Dennis LANGFORD is still posted MIA. His family thinks he survived the crash and was murdered by the Germans, on the ground, but I've never found any evidence towards this in French records.

Joss

Thanks

Joss,

Thank you. That is interesting. I am attempting to obtain WO Davy's SR from the Candian Library and Archives. It may well include more info, such as the MREU report. I will let you know if I get anything.

By the way, any idea who shot this one down?

Rgds and thanks

Jonny