Default Everiss 58 Otu

Hi guys,

Name: EVERISS, CARLYLE GRAY
    Initials: C G
    Nationality: New Zealand
    Regiment/Service: Royal New Zealand Air Force
    Date of Death: 02/10/1941
    Service No: 41318
    Additional information: Son of Frederick Everiss, and of Murielle Octavia Everiss (nee Gray), of Gisborne, Auckland, New Zealand; husband of Phyllis Elizabeth Everiss, of Te Kuiti, Auckland.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. 1. Grave 19.
    Cemetery: GRANGEMOUTH (GRANDSABLE) CEMETERY

Was killed in in Spitfire P9497 whilst with 58 OTU. There was an unveiling of a memorial to him last year, reported in the BBC etc

My question is - was his middle name Carlyle (as shown on the CWGC etc) or Carlisle as shown on his Memorial.

I've just posted more details and pictures on another forum if people want to see them (I hope linking to that is OK Ross?):

http://ww2chat.com/forums/memorials-cemeteries/2031-scottish-war-memorials.html

Does anyone have a definative answer? I really would like to know whether the Council have got it wrong or the CWGC, because one or the other needs to correct their mistake.

Cheers
    A

Thanks

The ORB isn't much use, they got first inital wrong in the two entries about him

October 2nd 1941, “It is recorded with regret the death of Pilot Officer E.G. Everiss in a flying accident which occurred at 17.20 hours near Bannockburn, Stirlingshire. P/O Everisss was flying Spitfire P9497 and witnesses state he spun in.”

October 6th 1941, “The funeral of the late P/O E.G. Everiss took place this afternoon at
    Grandsable Cemetery, Polmont.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Amrit,

On this New Zealand site it's also Carlyle: http://www.nzfpm.co.nz/memorial.asp

Regards,

Leendert

Thanks

Hi Amrit
    look at the Auckland site http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/general/RecordDetail.aspx?datasetID=598&SearchID=709904&Or dinal=1&Dataset=Cenotaph&OriginalID=23674 where they use the spelling Carlyle. It comes from the Auckland Museum Cenotaph
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Gents

his name is spelled 'Carlyle' in the death registers.

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Thank you guys. It seems that the council/memorial committee have got it wrong, and decided to fob me off a few months ago. I should have checked here then but got side-tracked. I shall have to get back to them as it seems disrespectful to have his name mispelt on his own memorial.

A

Thanks

"It comes from the Auckland Museum Cenotaph"

Just in case there is any confusion, 'Cenotaph' is a name given to the Museum's website project. Carlyle Gray Everiss's name (as correctly spelled) does not appear on a cenotaph as such at the Museum.

Curiously, the site spells his name correctly in its entry but replicates alongside it without comment a newspaper report which features the incorrect version!

Errol