Thread: Three Air men from Ponca City

Thanks

Default Three Air men from Ponca City

Hi three all,

I have three airmen connected to one of the airmen who died in Ireland, John R McMillan:
    www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/Article_5.htm

F/Sgt David Little 657483 was awarded an Air Force Medal in December 1944 per the London Gazette. No unit listed and no citation.
    Any clues where and what for?

W/O Donald William Jolliffe 1238969 (Pilot), Son of Walter and Ruby Jolliffe, of Kinmel Bay, Denbighshire.
    Killed 1 Oct 1944 with 16 Squadron, buried in Geel, Belgium. It seems he baled out of or abandoned Spitfire PA947 on that date. Was the aircraft damaged does anyone know?

And lastly, F/Lt Stanley John Eaton DFC, 49804, he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He was awarded this in February 1945 for service with 257 Squadron. There is no citation printed in the London Gazette. KNown better as Wing Commander Jerry Eaton. I got a postal address for him today but just wondered if anyone on the forum knew of him recently? Before I write like.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,
    I'm a member of the Dutch SGLO (Studiegroep Luchtoorlog = Studygroup Air War 1939-1945) and in SGLO's Bulletin Nr. 308 (Nov 2009) is on page 14 a picture of four airmen standing in front of a Spitfire on B.58 Melsbroek. One of the airmen is 'Jolly' JOLIFFE. In a printed text is mentioned that his aircraft was hit by flak in the Maas-Scheldecanal area and Joliffe baled out (believed to be in the Rijkevorsel area). Unfortunately too low for a full deployment of his parachute.
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

Thanks Henk. I wonder where did that photo come from, was it a family member of Jolliffe.??
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Dennis,
    The article in SGLO's bulletin titled "Spitfire (Pilots in Blue)" and provided by SGLO member Joop Thuring (famthuring@planet.nl). On the picture are from left to right: F/Sgt "Jolly" JOLLIFFE, F/Lt H.J.S. "Jimmy" TAYLOR, Flight Mechanic Ron PARNELL and Flight Mechanic Ron ABRAHAMS. (Photo credit: F/Lt Horsefall via Jimmy Taylor).
    Regards,
    Henk.

Thanks

OK, cheers Henk, I'm probably extending my line of contacts outside my area of interest if I contact Messer.s Taylor and Thuring. Good to know in any case.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Not sure if you are still active but Donald Jolliffe was my mums cousin and can supply more info on his death if you require
    thanks
    mark robinson

Thanks

Hi I'm new to this so hope you get this
    Donald Jolliffe was my mothers cousin and an integral part of their family as they all grew up together. I'm not sure what your interest in him is but hope I can offer some more information for you
    mark robinson

Thanks

Very sorry to see I must never have seen this reply, and I doubt after 3 years your monitoring the post. Also, cannot see any contact options on your profile. But if you see this Mark ever, contact me via the details on my website:
    http://www.ww2irishaviation.com/contact.htm

My interest in Donald is through his being a friend of John McMillan who died here in Ireland.

Thanks

Dennis,

I doubt this will add much, if anything, to your research, but have you seen https://www.cheshireroll.co.uk/soldi...onald-jolliffe

Brian

Thanks

Thanks Brian. Not directly researching him but would like to share with family in anyycase.

Dennis
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

www.ww2irishaviation.com