Thread: Lancaster ME299 crash 8.2.45

Thanks

Default Lancaster ME299 crash 8.2.45

Can anyone supply me with any details on the crash of 44 Squadron Lancaster ME299?

It was lost on the raid on Politz (8/2/45), in particular I would be interested on information on the aircraft's wireless operator F/Lt Ken Bingham DFC.

Thankyou in advance!

Thanks

Default Linda

Hi Glenn,
    I am actually working on a write up on Donald Finlayson of the crew for bombercrew's 44 squadron Gallery at present
    I have an e mail address for Bingham's grandson and details of crash from Finlayson 's relation if you like to e mail me on
    cathogs2000@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks

Glenn,

From my 'For Your Tomorrow - a record of New Zealanders who had died while serving with the RNZAF and Allied Air Services since 1915 (Vol Two: Fates 1943-1998):

Thu 8/Fri 9 Feb 1945
    BOMBER COMMAND

Raid on the synthetic-oil plant at Pölitz, north of Stettin, Germany (by 475 Lancasters & 7 Mosquitoes - 11 lost)
    44 Squadron, RAF (Spilsby, Lincolnshire - 5 Group)
    Lancaster III ME299/E - took off at 1650 and brought down some 45km SW of the target area, crashing on the farm of Herr Wilhelm Tetran about 1km from Eickstedt, 12km east of Prenzlau. Taken prisoner, the RAF flight engineer and air bomber were the only survivors. Captured German documents and post war searches failed to establish the fate of their five comrades or where their remains might be buried. They are therefore commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.
    Captain: NZ426054 Flt Lt Kenneth MANGOS, RNZAF - Age 23.

Errol

Thanks

Default Linda

Errol,thanks so much for that extra info. Mrs Finlayson,the navigator's mother,remembers F/S Sheehan & Sgt T Fitzpatrick visiting after the war and their release as pow's.If the facts are correct,they told Mrs Finlayson that her son gave one of the survivors,who was injured,his own parachute and placed him in the arms of his uninjured crew mate as one of the parachutes had been holed,and he felt they stood a better chance like that.One of the survivors remembers seeking Finlayson still on the plane when it exploded.
    Thanks so much for the extra info,much appreciated