Thread: Sad Passing of F/L Bernard Lea

Thanks

Default Sad Passing of F/L Bernard Lea

This week I was contacted by a Mary Lea, the daughter of F/L Bernard Lea, who was a Flight Engineer with 102 squadron from May 44 to the end of the war...

I have added some of Mary's email here with details of Bernard's funeral, I only wish I lived nearer to Aldershot.

This man completed 39 missions, and we will be adding a page to our web site in the coming months.

All the best to you all

Chris

Web Site for 102 (Ceylon) Squadron
    http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk/

================================================

Thank you for your quick response and nice words of my dad's passing. It really is an awful time at the moment. Dad was such a gentleman, a true fighter in all the spirit of a WW2 veteran. For the last two and half years I was his carer and he lived with me after my mums sudden death. It was a privilege and honour to have had him as my father. In the last year I found out about the Princess Marina House on the south coast and I paid for him to visit it on several occasions, he loved it there. He was actually taken ill there on this last occasion and passed away, after a truly gallant fight, in Worthing Hospital.

It was during this last year and these visits that a lot of his RAF days came up and although he was suffering from dementia in his later years his memory of the war years was remarkable though his short term memory was very sadly lost.

His funeral service will take place at The Park Crematorium, Guildford Road, Aldershot, Hampshire. GU12 4BP at 12 noon. On the 20th March. Everyone would be most welcome but I am sure you will probably not have anyone in this area.

The local RAFA group are providing a standard bearer as are the British Legion. My fathers casket will be draped with the Union Flag which I find to be wonderful. My uncle has ordered a roundel for the funeral but if you can think of anything that could be used to represent the 102 squadron or if there are flowers or anything I can order that shows the 102 squadron I would really appreciate you letting me know. When I wrote on your web site I was not asking for anyone to attend but to just have something that would represent the 102. Thank you so much.

================================================== ===
    Last edited by ChrisInBlackpool; 14th March 2012 at 20:37. Reason: Spelling