Thread: W/C GEORGE, C.O. of 86 Embarkation Unit at Boulogne-sur-Mer in October 1944

Thanks

Default W/C GEORGE, C.O. of 86 Embarkation Unit at Boulogne-sur-Mer in October 1944

Hello,

I'm trying to find the full identity of Wing Commander GEORGE, who was the C.O. of No. 86 Embarkation Unit at Boulogne-sur-Mer in October 1944, after the port had been captured the month before.

I was quite surprised to see in No. 424 Aviation Fuel & Ammunition Park ORB that the port of Boulogne was at least partially taken in charge by a R.A.F. officer after it was put back into use after the liberation in September 1944.

Thanks in advance

Joss

Thanks

Hello Ross,

Could this be your man? 19236 Edward John GEORGE, GD Pilot? As a Wing Commander he did a tour in France late 1944 to late 1945/early 1946 when he went n to Canada on an exchange tour. I did some research a couple of years ago and have the following on file:

1924 - Enlisted in the RAF
    1925 28 Jul - Granted short service commission as Pilot Officer
    1926 - Attended xxx Flying Training School
    1927 Apr 28 - Granted second short service commission as Pilot Officer
    1927 18 Mar - Promoted Flying Officer
    1931 30 Jun - Promoted Flight Lieutenant
    1931 12 Oct - Posted to No. 33 Sqdn., RAF Bicester. (Hart).
    1932 20 Oct - Posted to No. 8(B) Squadron RAF Khomaksar, Aden.
    1937 4 Feb - Posted to No. 3 Flying Training School, RAF Grantham on a refresher course
    1937 26 Apr - Posted to take command of reformed 76 Sqn RAF Finningley (Welesleys)
    1938 16 Jul - Posted to.............................. ?
    1940 - Posted to RAF Duxford, Cambridgeshire
    1940 - Detached to Torquay Devon to set up Initial Training Wing
    1940 23 May - Returned to RAF Duxford
    1940 25 May - Posted to 12 Group HQ, Fighter Command Ground Tour
    1 Jun 1940 - Promoted Wing Commander
    1 Jul 1943 - Promoted (T) Group Captain
    1944 Late - Posted Northern France in Wing Commander post
    1946 - Posted Canada as Group Captain (A) on exchange tour
    1947 - Returned to UK.
    1955 23 Jul - Wing Commander (A) Group Captain E.J. George retired from the RAF after 31 years service retaining rank of Group Captain

Hope this might be helpful to identify one way or the other. I did not come across another W/C George of similar time.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 20th March 2012 at 03:39. Reason: adding more service information

Thanks

Hello,

It's a possibility. I checked "honour the Air Forces" for all "GEORGE"s, but I couldn't come to a conclusion with the limited amount of information I have. Maybe the ORB of 86 Embarkation Unit, if it exists (apparently still, but not the period I'm interested in) could give at least initials.

Thanks

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss,

I apologise for addressing you by the wrong Christan name just noticed in my last post

I agree, it was a long shot but nevertheless, I will keep my eyes open on this man's career and let you know any useful results accordingly. His details are growing daily. What exactly was the role of the unit? Was it 'Tri Service' ?

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 23rd March 2012 at 17:42. Reason: adding apology for earlier incorrect name

Thanks

Hello Joss,

My research into the service history of Edward John George advances by the day. I have now established he went to Canada in 1943 to take command of RCAF Moose Jaw, home of the all RAF No.32 SFTS. By the end of 1944 he was back at Netheravon possibly as the Station Commander. I have no knowledge of his service from then on - not until he was awarded the O.B.E.. shortly before retiring in 1955. So, although he spent a short time in Normandy - as what I don't know yet, it now looks less and less likely he was your man at No. 86 Embarkation unit in Boulogne-sur-Mer as he returned from Canada in December 1944 and next showed up at RAF Netheravon in January 1945 and sometime after went to Normandy.

While researching E. J. George, I came across another Wg Cdr R. A. George but alas, don't know his movements in 1939-1945

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 28th March 2012 at 21:42. Reason: adding last line

Thanks

By 1944 R A George was an Acting AVM and was AOC, Iraq and Persia and so was not OC, 86 Emb Unit.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello,

thanks Norman and Malcolm for your help about this officer.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Joss
    I have just stumbled upon this now rather old thread and I have the answer to your enquiry. You have probably found the answer by now but just in case here it is.
    The C.O. of 86 Embarkation Unit from its formation and in October 1944 was Wing Commander Rowland David George D.S.O., O.B.E. This man was quite a character.
    See http://www.rafbeachunits.info/Honour....html#RDGeorge

I would be interested to learn what you know about this Unit. Embarkation Units such as No. 86 are close to my main interest which is RAF Beach Units. Many Beach Unit personnel were in Embarkation Units before and/or after their Beach Unit service. Also, I have received an enquiry from a French chap asking about officers in this Unit. Family members in Boulogne were friendly with an RAF officer remembered only as 'Alec'. They have two photos of him and he is trying to find out who he was.

Regards

Mike

Thanks

Hello Mike,

No I hadn't identified this R.A.F. Wind Commander at the time. I was helping my friend Hugues Chevalier who was in the last stages before publishing his book about the Liberation of the Pas-de-Calais département, including Boulogne-sur-Mer, and I tried to find any snippet of "never published before" information for his book. The subject of these Embarkation Unit was not pushed further, I checked the online catalogue at Kew and the corresponding period ORB doesn't exist. But maybe I should look in the Beach Units to uncover some new details.

I've been contacted by pm by this fellow Frenchman as well. I tried the possibility of this "Alec" being a member of the Missing Research & Enquiry Service, but it doesn't look to be the case. No. 424 AFAP only gives ranks and surname, but the unit moved along and didn't stay as long as this "Alec" seems to have stayed in the Boulogne-sur-Mer area.

I'll have a look at your link

Joss

Thanks

Hello Joss

Thanks for your reply. I think Christophe has a difficult task trying to identify 'Alec' but perhaps he may succeed eventually!

Regards

Mike