Thread: Mustang P.51 IA,PHO/REC

Thanks

Default Mustang P.51 IA,PHO/REC

Hello,

I wonder if the Mustang P.51 IA, 168 Sqdn RAF, PHO/REC in November 1943 were equipped with a weapon.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Association Bretonne du Souvenir Aérien 39-45
    http://www.absa3945.com/

Thanks

I am not sure I fully understand your question? The Mustang IA was built with four 20mm cannon like the Typhoon.

Steve

Thanks

I was wondering whether the Mustang IA were all equipped with four 20 mm guns for missions PRU.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Thanks

I don't know of any evidence that the cannon were removed from MkIAs. When you write "PRU" are you suggesting the MkIAs were used for high altitude work?

Steve

Thanks

Hi Dan,

As far as I'm aware the Mustang I/IA was used in the Tactical Reconnaissance (Tac/R) role not in the true photographic reconnaissance role. The Mustang I/IA was equipped with a single oblique camera and photos were usually taken at low level, though distant obliques could be taken at medium altitude. Photographic reconnaissance sorties usually involved the taking of vertical photos from high altitude, though oblique photography could also be undertaken at low level if required.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

My question concerns what P.51 IA FD545, the Pilot Flying Officer. MACHIN, GRAHAM DUDLEY Launcelot. 168 Sqdn.
    At Kew the ORB of the mission was not available from a friend who has done research in February.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Thanks

OK Dan so you are talking about 9 November 1943? This seems to have been a perfectly routine low-level Tac/R mission. We seem to be involved in a guessing game do you want to say why you think the aircraft had no armament?

Steve

Thanks

Thank you for the answer. It seemed that many aircrafts used in photographic reconnaissance were not armed.
    For several years I search the place of loss of P.51 IA FD545 in the north of Rennes, and Wednesday I got to witness a plane crash near another crash that I thought was a long time to be me 109 and the death of his pilot.
    Young witnesses had recovered from ammunition belts.
    In this crash the pilot was found dead a few hundred meters from his aircraft as for the other loss.
    Cordialement,
    Regards,
    Mit freundlichem Gruß,

Dan

Thanks

Only high altitude PR aircraft were unarmed. As Mr Fletcher has explained the Mustang IA was a low altitude aircraft and was armed. On 9/11/43 there were two aircraft tasked to photograph bridges in the Pontorson area. Machin suddenly turned to the left as if he had been hit the other pilot tried to follow him and saw Machin again apparently flying under control but at a very low altitude. He was last seen in the area of Antrain. The pilot who returned safely did not report any flak or any enemy aircraft.

Steve