Thread: Capitaine ARNOUX, KIFA 29 september 1941

Thanks

Default Capitaine ARNOUX, KIFA 29 september 1941

Hi,

I found his name in the Air 29/548 (10 Air Observer School, Dumfries). Battle L4997 crashed with P/O Tokulski and P/O Rochowsli.

I was not able to find captain Arnoux in the Commonwealth war grave commission ?

Does anybody know this name ARNOUX ?

TIA

Bertrand H

Thanks

Hi Bertrand,

have you tried the search of CWGC which was publicated on this forum some time ago?
    You can search for the date and you are right - on 29 september 1941, there is no one like Arnoux.

Do you know if he was a member of RAF? If he was a Free French for example, he will be not mentioned on CWGC site like the Polish airmen who were members in Polish Air Force independent on the RAF.

Pavel

Thanks

Default Capitaine ARNOUX, KIFA 29 september 1941

Bertrand - In the book Aviateurs de la Liberte by Col Henry Lafont he gives the date of the crash as 29 October 1941 when a Battle of 10 AOS crashed at Closeburn near Dumfries. Two Polish aircrew also died - Capitaine Jean-Rene Arnoux was initially buried at Dumfries then reinterred at Brookwood Surrey.
    My french translation is not very good but in 1939 he had been a Bridge engineer in Saigon and a member of the local aero club then left Singapore by boat arriving in Glasgow February 1941.
    Chris

Thanks

Hi Pavel and Chris,

You are right Chris, Jean René Arnoux is in the book « Aviateurs de la liberté » but at the wrong date ! I correct the date and put the serial L4997.

Bertrand

Thanks

I notcied that the name of one of the two Polish crew is spelt differntly in one of the three entires about the crash in the 10 AOS ORB. Which spelling is correct? Tokulski or Sokulski?

September 29th 1941, “Accident to Battle aircraft pilot, Capt Arnoux, Pupils P/O Tokulski and F/O Rochowski, killed.”

September 1941, “Crashes.
    Battle aircraft L4997 crashed at Auchencairn Farm, Closeburn, on 29th September 1941, and the crew (F/Lt Arnoux, P/O Sokulski and F/O Rochowski) were all killed. Record of forced landings returned on Form 765 (b) for September.”

October 2nd 1941, “Service funeral of Captain Arnoux, Pilot Officer Sokilski and Flying Officer Rochowski at St Andrews Roman Catholic Cemetery, Dumfries.”
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

From a list of Non-Commonwealth UK burials from CWGC

"29.9.41 Capt Jean Rene Charles Arnoux, FFAF. Battle L4997. Brookwood Military Cemetery, Plot 29 Row A Grave 23."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alclark View Post
    I notcied that the name of one of the two Polish crew is spelt differntly in one of the three entires about the crash in the 10 AOS ORB. Which spelling is correct? Tokulski or Sokulski?
    Scotlands People has Sokulski

Thanks

In RoH Polish airmen "KU CZCI" (one of the authors Wojtek Matusiak) is listed:

por.pil. Jerzy SOKULSKI svcnr P-0260, born 3-11-1915
    killed together with
    kpt.obs. Leonid ROCHOWSKI svcnr P-0362, born 16-4-1906.

Regards,
    Henk.