Thread: Long Shot 19 Sqn? Accident May 25 1927?

Thanks

Default Long Shot 19 Sqn? Accident May 25 1927?

All I have a reference to F/O. G. W. Tuttle (later Air Marshal Sir Geoffrey William Tuttle KBE CB DFC FRAeS (1906-1989). bailing out of an aircraft at Hendon, London on May 25th 1927

He should have been on 19 Sqn at the time and based at RAF Duxford on Grebes

Can anyone confirm an incident on this date or approx to a 19 Sqn machine

He is the only 1927 Caterpiller Club RAF member that I can't track details down for

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Paul

Grebe J7578 was abandoned on 24th May 1927 after 'something broke' whilst on delivery to 19 Squadron (The J File).

regards

DaveW

Thanks

Dave

Thanks for that it looks like the incident I was looking for

great

Paul

Thanks

Update. I think incident occurred May 25, 1927 at Cambridge NOT Hendon

Thursday 26 May 1927 , The Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer , West Yorkshire, England

PILOT'S RESOURCE. LEAP IN PARACHUTE AFTER CLEARING CITY AREA
    CRASH INTO RAIL SIGNAL. The presence and mind of R.A.F. pilot averted a disaster in Cambridge yesterday.
    Flight-Officer Tuttle, who stationed at Duxford with the 19th Squadron, was bringing a new single-seater to the
    the aerodrome when, while over the middle of Cambridge, discovered that his controls were not working
    properly. Realising full well the risk to the townsfolk if crash occurred at that point, determined to get clear the
    get clear the thickly populated area before abandoning his machine. In this he was successful, and having climbed height oi feet, jumped out and descended means his parachute. The plane commenced a spiral dive for earth, crashing in a field behind Research Hospital
    connected with the University. Alarmed workmen hurried to the scene the accident, and turned the machine over in a search for the body the occupant. They were wondering what had become of him when Flight-Officer Tuttle appeared, having been carried some distance away.

Thanks

I believe the aircraft crashed at Worts Causeway the 'Research hospital' is now the Strangeways Research Laboratory. I wonder if it was on delivery from hendon

Thanks

Paul,

If it did indeed come down in that area it must have been on the railway line which is to the west of Addenbrooks ("Crash into rail signal").

DaveW