Thread: F/L WOOD DFC, 10 Sqn RAAF

Thanks

Default F/L WOOD DFC, 10 Sqn RAAF

Could anyone tell me the forenames or initials of a F/L WOOD DFC, who was a Sunderland captain with 10 Sqn RAAF during Summer 1942. I don't know what nationality he was. I've tried searching the LG but WOOD is too common a surname to be much help without initials. I've also had a quick look throught the 10 Sqn RAAF ORB but in most cases it seems to use only surnames.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum

Thanks

Hi Andy,

DFC 30/6/1942
    Flight Lieutenant Samuel Richard Creswick WOOD (Aus. 516), Royal Australian Air Force, No. 10 (R.A.A.F) Squadron.
    Flight Lieutenant Wood was the captain of a Sunderland aircraft which attacked a U-Boat in the Bay of Biscay. Shortly afterwards the Sunderland was attacked by an enemy aircraft. Severe damage was inflicted
    on the attacker and it is unlikely that the aircraft was able to return to its base. Despite the damage sustained by the Sunderland, Flight Lieutenant Wood succeeded in bringing his aircraft back safely. The cool courage and determination consistently displayed by this officer have set an excellent example.

Service number O35909 (250516) Look: http://www.uboat.net/allies/aircraft/raaf.htm

Regards
    Mojmir

Thanks

Hi Mojmir,

Many thanks for the information, just what I was after.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
    Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum