Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 101 Squadron Photo - we think...

Thanks

Default 101 Squadron Photo - we think...

I have been contacted by the son of William (Bill) Wigham DFC, a tail gunner with 101 and 102 Squadrons during WW2.

We have some quite amazing photo's of Bill at different times of his RAF career, one of which we think was taken when he was with 101 Squadron.
    Bill's page on our site is here: http://www.102ceylonsquadron.co.uk/memWilliamWigham.html

I don't use this board enough to know how to add the 101 squadron photo here, if someone wants to do that for me I would really appreciate it, thanks.

What I will do is add the list of names that are on the back of the photo, I am hoping that some one out there with relatives connected to the squadron might just recognise someone.

As you will read on our site, the plane in the photo sent down on the 30/31 May 1942 and we think three of the airmen are in this group photo.

Many thanks

Chris

Back Row

Sgt Skipsy (AG), Rogers (W/AG), Mullim (W/AG), Tracey (AG), Skinner (W/AG), Sundborg (AG), Arnold (W/AG), Mullan (Obs), Downer (Obs), Ferguson (AG).

Middle Row

Sgt Matheson (W/AG), Sime (AG), Foxcroft (Pilot), Kilwyn (W/AG), Keen (Pilot), Richards (Pilot), Garland (W/AG), Llewelyn (Pilot), Barker (Obs), Clark (Obs), Calhoone (Obs), Sibald (W/AG), Sauve (W/AG), F/Sgt Machin (Pilot), Sgt Spooner (AG), Brace (W/AG).

Sitting

Sgt Hart (W/AG), Marney (Pilot), William Wigham (AG), King-Scott (AG), Ward (W/AG), Menage (Obs), Young (W/AG), Diemer (Pilot), Arthan (W/AG), Jones (W/AG), Andelo (AG), Pollock (W/AG), Oakley (W/AG), Cormack (W/AG), Bott (W/AG).

Sitting Front Row

Mackay (AG), Early (Pilot), F/Sgt Williams (Pilot), Sgt Tatton (W/AG), F/Sgt Woodgate (W/AG), Sgt Urwin (AG), Pearson (Obs), Charles (AG), Attwood (Pilot), F/Sgt Brown (Pilot), Sgt Murray (AG), F/Sgt Burgess (W/AG), Sgt Jaggers (W/AG), Stewart (W/AG), Wade (AG), Symonds (AG).
    Last edited by ChrisInBlackpool; 12th April 2012 at 17:17. Reason: Incorrect information in post

Thanks

Great find!!! This forum doesn't accept inbeded images, some of us are easily upset it seems, but your link above shows the image so that should suffice for everyone, and also, links are disabled so before anyone says Chris' link is not working, copy and paste it into your browser address bar to view.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default No need to think....it is

Hi Chris,

This photo appears on page 66 of the 101 Squadron book "Bomber Squadron at War" by Andrew Brookes with the caption: "Squadron NCOs at Bourn. The aircraft, F-Freddie, was lost over Cologne on 30 May". Kite was Wellington X3670.

From the information given on your site: although you have no one named Gardner (skipper of X3670) in the photo, you do have a chap named Hart on the far left of your sitting row.

If you give me a few days I can look up when William Wigham was on 101 and post those dates here.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Default Thanks for all your help

Dave, Bill Wigham joined 101 squadron on the 9th Sep 1942, the only problem is we don't know when he left and joined 102.. so a leaving date would be wonderful.

I have sent Howard a link to this thread so you may very well hear from him soon.

Thanks again for all the info

Chris

Thanks

Hi Chris,

Can you verify Wigham's start date on 101 Sqn please? If he only joined them in September of 1942 I am left wondering how he is in the photograph of an aircraft lost in May of 1942?

Also, barring there being another A/G named Wigham on 101 at the time of the photograph I see that Wigham was a gunner for NZ403422 P/O A.C. Callender.

Just looking at the ORB for April and May 1942 I see several operations, including the one where Gardner and crew (X3670) were lost, where Wigham is flying with Callender.

Regards,
    Dave

Thanks

Default OOPppps

Dear Dave..

OOpppps.. sorry.. ekkkk 1941.. not 42.. sorry... My eye sight is terrible you know...

So then you have some ops for him.. I do think that Howard has his log book, but if you want to email me (address is on our web site) I will pass onto you Howard email address and you can poss send him any info you get??

Ohh and MANY thanks for your time on this...

All the best

Chris

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Hi Chris,

This photo appears on page 66 of the 101 Squadron book "Bomber Squadron at War" by Andrew Brookes with the caption: "Squadron NCOs at Bourn.
    Dave, forgot to ask you.. does the photo in the book have all the names with it??? Guessing that some of the 101 folks might be interested in this.. do you know if there is anyone connected to an association ???

Cheers again

Chris

Thanks

Default No joy in the ORB

Unfortunately, the ORB is not always reliable. This is one of those cases.

The last operation flown by P/O Callender was in SR-H, (X3669) to Essen with his regular crew of F/O Doig and Sgts. Ward, Young and Wigham on 1 June 1942.

The ORB shows P/O Callender posted to No. 11 OTU at Bassingbourne on 20 June 1942 wef 12 June 1942. F/O Doig is posted to RAF Honington on 20 June 1942 wef 15 June 1942.

The three sergeants do not show as posted away nor do they fly again on 101. I'm afraid only Sgt Wigham's flying log can answer this mystery.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

We had the same problem during our research, as only officer postings (in and out) are shown on the ORB's. Sadly, the flying log that we need has been lost in time.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default W Wigham DFC

Quote Originally Posted by alieneyes View Post
    Unfortunately, the ORB is not always reliable. This is one of those cases.

The last operation flown by P/O Callender was in SR-H, (X3669) to Essen with his regular crew of F/O Doig and Sgts. Ward, Young and Wigham on 1 June 1942.

The ORB shows P/O Callender posted to No. 11 OTU at Bassingbourne on 20 June 1942 wef 12 June 1942. F/O Doig is posted to RAF Honington on 20 June 1942 wef 15 June 1942.

The three sergeants do not show as posted away nor do they fly again on 101. I'm afraid only Sgt Wigham's flying log can answer this mystery.

Regards,

Dave
    Bill Wigham transferred to 19OTU on 1/8/42 for training - commissioned to F/O 8/8/43 1663 C.U.
    Transferred to 102 squadron 23/9/43 (first sortie 27/9/43 - did 26 sorties with 102))
    Transferred to Admin at Driffield (Base 43) on 10/6/44 (Have staff photo available.)
    Demob 24/10/45
    I have his war records but they are not very detailed.
    I have no details of his crew with 101 squadron other than given in this thread.
    regards
    Howard (son)
    Last edited by HWigham; 21st June 2012 at 09:11. Reason: update