Thread: 1941 N0. 19 OTU. course photograph of 32 named pilots

Thanks

Default 1941 N0. 19 OTU. course photograph of 32 named pilots

Third screening of a 1941 photograph showing 32 future Bomber pilots undergoing operational training at 19 O.T.U. RAF Kinloss. The photo was kindly given to me by the family of the late Group Captain IVESON.

Since first posted in 2009, 13 have been identified,. Can you help with the remaining 19 please ? I have exhausted the LG and Flight Global and used every conceivable combination of full-stop, space, comma etc. but there's always the chance someone may come up with some further details. The photo was kindly given to me by the family of the late Group Captain IVESON. Thank you

The photograph can be seen on Photobucket using the following URL http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/dfuller52/?action=view&current=21OTU-1941.jpg

Back Row Standing: (L-R)
    # FINDON.
    CARDEN, Gordon Edward, 1292442.
    FORD-HUTCHINSON, Roger Francis Stuart. Sgt, died 24/7/1941 on 76 Sqn flying Halifaxes
    ROWLEY-BLAKE, Douglas. Sgt, died 8/11/1941 with 58 Squadron flying Whitleys. His aircraft was lost at sea while returning from a bombing raid on Berlin. Attended High Storrs Grammar School, 1932-1937
    MODELAND, Seward Terry, R/56234 102 Sqn
    # MORGAN.
    # WHITE.
    # O’BRIEN.
    # STUART
    ABECASSIS. George Edgar. Became Squadron Leader with 161 Squadron flying Sterlings. He was shot down on 7/10/1944 from Tempsford on operation Tablejam. Became PoW in Stalag Luft III.
    WHYTE, 'Chic' CO of 76 Sqn Jan 1945
    FLOCKHART. C..B. Sgt, (Later Wg Cdr). 2nd Pilot on Halifax Mk I, Serial No. 9516 MP, shot down 5 Aug 1941. Baled out over Glabeek, Belgium (40km E Brussels), captured, sent to Stalag Luft 1, moved to Stalag Luft VI in Summer of 1943. Escaped 18 Feb 1944, returned to UK via Sweden. Awarded DCM 26 February 1946 at Buckingham Palace by King George VI. Died 15 March 1988.
    # JONES, L..
    # KNIGHTS.
    # MURRAY.
    # MERCER.
    POOLES. Could be be Flt Lt M Pooles from 35 Squadron who was lost on 30th March 1942. http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/1020tlk.html is a link
    # GRIGG.
    # WOOD.
    # MARTIN. Could be HAMILTON-MARTIN

Front Row, Seated: (L-R)
    # ANSON.
    # ROWE or ROWEN
    # FOILIOT-FOSTER, F
    # WILLIAMS. If Williams N. L. - came from No.2 SFTS
    # COOPER.
    IVESON, Douglas. 'Hank' Iveson. Born 1917, died 1994. Service number 86384. Amongst many commands was CO of 76 Sqn. Flew every type of heavy bomber during the war. Post war, flew all types of 'V' bombers, Became Waddingtons 'Station Commander during the cold war in the 1960s.
    QUICK, 77 Sqn?
    GASKELL. Could be W/C Peter Ridley Gaskell DFC 63818, He was a F/L on 102 Squadron during the summer of '42 and ended up as C/O of 357 squadron from July to November '45
    # SUTS COOPER or SURS COOPER
    # PERKS.
    PUTTICK. Wilfred, died 26 Jul 1941 with 10 Squadron flying Whitleys.
    REYNOLDS, John Alfred. Died 8 Sep 1941 after returning from an operation over Berlin in Whitley Z6937 of 51 Sqn. Code: MH-S. One of three aircraft lost on this operation. (Whitley Z6744, Z6938) Took-off from RAF Dishforth 20:03 hrs to bomb Berlin. Returned to base at 05:45 hrs, 8th Sep 1941. Overshot and went around again but suddenly stalled and crashed on finals at 05:50 hrs . Sgt A.A. Jessup survived but later died in Station sick quarters. Sgt Duke survived with minor injuries. Sgt J.A. Reynolds Killed, P.O. L.C.R. Wilson Killed, Sgt A.E. Barrett Killed.

Old threads
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?5660-Photo-of-No-19-OTU-pilots-May-1941
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?12007-Photograph-of-No.-21-(pilots)-course-19-OTU-Kinloss-May-1941

Thank you
    Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 14th April 2012 at 19:20. Reason: updating list on post 1

Thanks

Norman,
    Gaskell could be W/C Peter Ridley Gaskell DFC 63818, He was a F/L on 102 Squadron during the summer of '42 and ended up as C/O of 357 squadron from July to November '45. Can't help with anything in between those dates though.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by pete102; 13th April 2012 at 20:50. Reason: added DFC

Thanks

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the information. Incidentally, my father once served on 102 Sqn in March 1944. Inside a month he was posted to 76 Sqn at Holme-on-Spalding Moor. (Sergeant R.T. Hood, Halifax Navigator.)
    I'll add the Gaskell 'Gen' to the list.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 13th April 2012 at 21:45.

Thanks

Norman,

Minor point - you appear to have Rowley-Blake in both the back and front rows.

Brian

Thanks

Brian,

Thanks for pointing out my error on the list in Post 1 - the 'Rowley-Blake' in front row seated, should have read ROWE. The real one is 4th left back row. List now corrected.

Norman
    Last edited by namrondooh; 14th April 2012 at 14:32.

Thanks

Hi Norman,

Can't be sure, but Pooles could be Flt Lt M Pooles from 35 Squadron who was lost on the same op as my grandfather on 30th March 1942. http://www.archieraf.co.uk/archie/1020tlk.html is a link to a page I have about the loss of Pooles and crew.

CWGC have the name spelt as 'Pools' but I believe this to be incorrect. http://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/2186312/POOLS,%20MICHAEL%20REGINALD%20MARK The 35 Sqdn ORB's have him as 'Pooles'

It was the 70th Anniversary of this loss this year and we lit candles on all the graves of those who were lost that night.

Regards
    Linzee

Thanks

Hello Linzee,

Nice to hear from you again Linzee. Thank you for the information. I must confess I had not considered the surname being misspelt. I had narrowed it down to two possibilities and the name Michael Pooles wasn't one of them. He now makes the others less likely.

I think the only option left to correctly identify the remaining 19 warriors is to read the ORBs of 19 OTU and also the hope that someone might have access to other ORBs of unknown units showing postings out to 19 OTU where the name & date match and similarly, documents showing postings in from 19 OTU after graduating

I was touched to read of the homage you paid to Flt. Lt. Pooles and others who perished in the March 1942 Tirpitz raids. Its hard to believe it was 70 years ago. I often refer to your site and find it a great inspiration to plod on with my own research.

Norman

Thanks

Norman,

A lot of these guys came straight from 2 SFTS so the research l am doing is the same as yourself. In fact GC Iveson was in the same plane as my Father when it crashed in training. He went on to 19 OTU with many of his pupils.

Let me go through the list and see who they are.

Did you have any photo's of 2 SFTS? I have one from Hendon marked 55 course but Iveson is not on it.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Norman,

This course at 19 OTU states commenced 11th May 1941. My Father went on to 13 OTU on 12th April 1941 and was with his Squadron by 17th June 1941 so i think that any of the guys from my Father's course would already be at 19 OTU. I will check out the later courses.

I can confirm however that l believe that Puttick and Reynolds are who you say they are, as is Abbecassis.

Williams could also be R M Williams of 57 Course. I still have not tracked down N L.

I will send you over a copy of the picture l have. It came from Hendon.

Regards,

Nick