Thread: RAF Asmara / Malta / 163 Sqn?

Thanks

Default RAF Asmara / Malta / 163 Sqn?

Researching a Danish navigator or wireless operator I have found the following information in an article written after the war:

In 1942 his "group" is moved to the Mediterranean to RAF Asmara in Eritrea, later Cairo. He is involved in flying supplied to Malta.

From information on squadrons at Asmara, I suppose, that he was posted to No. 163 Squadron, but this does not match the information on this Squadron on the RAF site in the sense that it does not mention Malta:

"On 10 July 1942, the squadron reformed at Suez for transport duties and embarked the same day for Massawa in Eritrea. On 15 July it disembarked and proceeded to Asmara where it began to receive Hudsons a week later. By the end of the month it was ready to start transport flights and on 1 September opened a mail service between Asmara and Khartoum, communications flying in Eritea, Sudan and Ethiopia being extended by trips to Nigeria and Madagascar. On 18 December 1942, the squadron was reduced to a cadre which was finally disbanded on 16 June 1943."

Any suggestions?

Regards

Mikkel Plannthin
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

He is not mentioned in the ORB for 163 Sqn July - Oct 1942 that I downloaded from Documents Online. Neither is Malta. I think I have to look for a different squadron. Any ideas?

Regards

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War

Thanks

Hi Mikkel,

"Any ideas?". One. A name might help pin him down.

Col.

Thanks

Col
    As always you have full of bright ideas :-) Of course, sorry.

Uffe Jensen, cf.
    http://danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?alpha=j&id=235

Regards

Mikkel
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 16th April 2012 at 15:27. Reason: wrong person

Thanks

No. 117 Squadron might be the one.

Regards

Mikkel

Thanks

Mikkel,

You should also consider No.267 Squadron RAF.

Col.