Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Changes in Uniform through training

Thanks

Default Elementary Flying Training School

Regarding the third question quoted in post 20. I might be able to help a little using my late father as example.
    After he passed out of No. 5 ITW Torquay, Devon in late 1942, he went to No. 5 E.F.T.S., Eastbourne, Sussex with 49 others for ten hours flying instruction in a DH62 Tiger Moth. This was to assess him for the next course of training under the P.N.B. system which he volunteered for. Incidentally, at the I.T.W., there were three squadrons with each squadron having three flights and each flight with '50 aircrew cadets. That makes nine courses of 50, 450 cadets total at any one time. I cannot comment on the make up of the other 8 courses. The whole course of 50 cadets from 'C' Flt No.1 Squadron, No. 5 I.T.W., all aspiring to become pilots, went West along the coast to No. 5 E.F.T.S. Eastbourne for P.N.B. assessment. I have a photo of them at Torquay then later, another one at Eastbourne. On conclusion of the flying test my father was recommended for the discipline of Navigator, probably through having pranged the Tiger, and sent to No. 48 Air Navigation School, East London, South Africa for 6 months training. On return from South Africa, he went to O.T.U., H.C.U. and finally a operational squadron. Three months later, just before D-Day he was shot down.

Norman,
    Last edited by namrondooh; 25th April 2012 at 14:43. Reason: inserting first line

Thanks

Norman

Thank you once again for your comprehensive feedback; it has helped further my knowledge regarding the training programme, which we are currently researching.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Default Testing some assumptions

In trying to understand the training programme for aircrew 1943/1944:

Firstly, am I right in assuming that all Wireless Operator training started in Blackpool?

Secondly, am I right in assuming the (P) AFU and (O) AFU were only used by aircrew that had been trained overseas (to familiarise them with UK flying conditions)?

My assumption is that aircrew trained in the UK did not go through this step. Is this assumption correct?

(Note: I recognise that some aircrew trained overseas went straight to OTU rather than via AFU)

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 26th April 2012 at 10:40.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Apologies for my quietness - been busy at work.......
    Pete - as a response (based simply on records), rather than any true 'knowledge' - you observations in the previous post regarding only overseas trained crew going to (o) AFU - Bob went to 2(o)AFU after he was recommended for re-mustering.

From his records, the recommendation for re-mustering was on 10/8/42. 29/8/42 has him in Hastings@ACDC, then on 10/11/42 he arrived at Millom to 2(o)AFU.

Having just typed this, it occurs to me that I need to place this in the context, that at his Aircrew Selection Board (9/10/41 he was recommended for training as Pilot/ Observer. 23/3/41 he went to ACRC and on 11/4/42 went to 11 ITW. On the 14/7/42 He went to Carlisle to 15 EFTS.

By the way, the chart looks to be forming quite nicely - though should there be an asterix regarding LFS, regarding it's specificity chronologically, as it were?

Simon