Thread: Recommended for a Commission

Thanks

Default Recommended for a Commission

Would it be unusual for a member of Bomber Command whilst undertaking training as air crew to be recommended for a commission. I have an assessment report on a man in South Africa which includes the statement of his ability and that he was so recommended.

I am left wondering how this would have come about.

Thanks

Colin, Hi,
    No, I don't think it would be unusual!
    Aircrew Training and Commissioning were separate - but inter-connected - facets of an RAF career.
    Aircrew Training was to teach you how to fly the damn thing (in whatever speciality - Pilot, Nav, Eng, Wop, AG, etc, etc). You didn't have to be Commissioned. You will be aware that there were some especially good NCO aircrew Fighter Pilots in the BoB!
    Obtaining the Sovereign's Commission is entirely different. The RAF decreed that an Officer should have a fairly good general, basic, education and intelligence. (S)he should have the ability to display powers of Command, Organisation, and Leadership (and put them into effect when, and if, necessary). But such was the casualty rate of Officers in WW2 that, at all stages of training, the supervisors were always on the lookout for POMs (Potential Officer Material). In WW2, a bloke with all these Officer qualities might make a hash of his aircrew training, but be awarded a Commission in another Branch.
    You will also be aware that "Officers issue orders". SNCOs/NCOs ensure "they are carried out". Airmen, etc, "carry them out". T'was always thus! Been all three - been there, done it!! And on another forum it has been said that flying an aircraft is easy! If it was difficult then the Officers would get the groundcrew to do it!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th April 2012 at 13:33.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter.

Thank you that makes easy understanding, I now know wher the term 'A right pom' originated from.

Thanks

Hi Colin,

there were some examples when the few cadets in each course became officers when the finished the training on the top of the group. So from my point of view it was quite a common thing - doe not matter which Command.

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

I agree with Pavel, at least in Canada in 1942 for Observers. The top students were given commissions after graduation, looks like about the top 10%. My father was given a commission on the day he finished his last course in training. He then went on to the UK and was posted to an AFU, OTU and finally an HCU, before going to an operational squadron.
    Cheers
    Dave Wallace
    Last edited by David Wallace; 17th April 2012 at 21:23.