Thread: Prangs

Thanks

Default Prangs

That is the title on a typed sheet of paper that I found in a wartime pilot’s Log Book and the article begins as follows:

PRANGS
    What goes up must come down. “Ah!” remarks P/O Prune, “but what matters is how it comes down.”

Very true - but just think how many of our aircraft are lost every day during take off and landing.

The cause is nearly always the same - lack of airspeed and lack of grip on the part of the pilot and crew. Now from watching some of these accidents I propose to draw some “pilot’s” conclusions.

TAKE OFFS
    Swings write off quite a lot of aircraft and in about half the cases the aircraft finally swings the opposite way to its natural swing, due to over correction.

Before you take off on a runway glance at the wind sock and pause and consider whether the natural swing will be increased or decreased by the beam wind. Endeavour to get the tail up as soon as possible and obtain rudder control before you open up to full power. Do not use brakes to correct a swing once the tail is up. If a swing starts correct with full opposite rudder (if necessary) and throttle.

If you are not too late and the aircraft leaves the runway throttle back all motors and stop. It is far cheaper to de-bog an aircraft than to de-undercarriage one. If an attempt is made to get back on the runway with brakes, throttles and rudder it will necessitate a fairly large change of handling of the aircraft and the inertia so induced will certainly result in an even more violent swing in the opposite direction - so don’t take chances - stop and try again.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::

Subsequent headings are Night Take Offs, Circuits and Approach, Approach and, finally, Overshoots

As it was possibly copied from a publication I am hoping that someone may recognise it so that credit may be given.

Regards,
    Aubrey

Thanks

Hi Aubrey,

Sounds suspiciously like Tee Emm which is best explained by following this link:-
    http://www.cleaford.co.uk/teeemm.htm

HTH
    Linzee

Thanks

Hi Linzee

Thank you for your comment which certainly makes sense

I suppose the correct thing to do now would be to buy the CD and wade through it

It would certainly be good to refresh old memories of P/O Prune, the Lord of the Station and the people of Eng who did journey to the Land of the Hun (May they and their seed etc. etc)

I hope those quotes are reasonably correct but I've been asleep since then

Regards,
    Aubrey