Thread: Lieutenant E.G. Goy RAF

Thanks

Default Lieutenant E.G. Goy RAF

CWGC shows that Lieutenant E.G. Goy serving with the Royal Air Force 1st School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping was killed on 25th April 1918 and is buried in Flaybrick Cemetery, Wirral. Can anyone tell me anything about him and the circumstances of his death?

Thanks

From Chris Hobson's splendid "Airmen died in the Great War" - Pilot of FE2b A5793 - killed in flying accident. His observer Lt C.E. Black was injured. Not a lot but that is all there is!

Jim

Thanks

There's an Ernest G. Goy registered, with no age, in the Amesbury district of Wiltshire in the June quarter of 1918.

His birth appears to the have been in the Birkenhead district, Ernest George Goy, September Quarter 1894, Birkenhead.
    Last edited by alclark; 19th April 2012 at 21:27. Reason: Birth details
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for replies - useful information.

Thanks

From the RAF Hendon / Cross & Cockade FE2 file.

A5793 wrecked in crash after engine cut April 25, 1918.

Then rather oddly it continues with detail of another crash viz, July 8, 1918 crashed in nose dive from low turn after engine cut at South Farnborough. Lt G M V Bidie injured and AM1 Manning killed. If A5793 wrecked on the earlier date this would appear to be an error or was rebuilt ?

Ian

Thanks

The 1st School of Navigation and Bomb Dropping was based at Stonehenge, but interestingly there's no reference to an inquest in the South Wiltshires Coronor's Inquests at http://salisburyinquests.wordpress.com/1918-2/ .

That said I've found other instances of inquests not being included in the report. Your best bet is to contact the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre (http://www.wshc.eu/) at heritageadmin@wiltshire.gov.uk or wriite to

Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
    Cocklebury Road
    Chippenham
    Wiltshire
    SN15 3QN
    United Kingdom

The organisation should hold archived local newspapers for Salisbury that would contain an inquest report.

Brian

Thanks

Hello,

RAF Hendon/Cross & Cockade FE2 File, obviously incorrect.

8-7-1916 (Thus RFC, not RAF)

2Lt G M V Bidie and AMII W C Manning, killed whilst flying in FE2b A5793 UK.

Hobson/Airmen Died in the Great War 1914 - 1918.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th April 2012 at 23:18.

Thanks

Not sure what the 1916 date refers to, Goy was killed 25 April 1918 and the other crash mentioned on 8 july 1918.

Surprised if no inquest in Wiltshire. The accident obviously happened near to the School as the Death certificate was issued in the Amesbury Registration District and not out of area.

Thanks

No, I didn't say there was no inquest in Wiltshire - I said it wasn't listed in the source quoted. I also noted this wasn't unique. If you contact the Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre I'm 99% sure one of the editions of the archived Salisbury local newspapers will carry a report of the inquest.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Col,

The FE2 file lists A5793 being delivered November 1917 so it looks like any connection between this machine and Lt Bidie’s crash in 1916 is indeed in error.

Hello Drailton,

If you read on from my post No 5 you will get the gist of Col and My replies.

Regards,

Ian