Thread: RAF Dog Tags

Thanks

Default RAF Dog Tags

Hi,
    Is there someone out there who might be knowledgeable in types of RAF ID tags, that could help me out with a possible time period of issue. Although it is only a part tag, i have a part service number from it that does not bring up anything when typed into Geoffs Search engine or CWGC, (owner definatley killed) and i'm wondering if it could be pre WW2. Little things like the "RAF" lettering, which is in longer and thinner letters than the type seen on WW2 tags, and the number "3" which is in rounded form, and not with the straight edged top. Scan available to anyone who might help.
    Alan.

Thanks

What is it made of?

Thanks

Pete,
    I'll send a scan of it by email. It's of the normal type of material associated with WW2 tags, but the "RAF" lettering is a different style as to the WW2 type.
    Alan.

Thanks

Alan/Pete

I can remember reading about the two dog tags some years ago that

one was dark green and the other dark red.
    one was circular and one square with corners cut off.
    one was 'fire proof' and the other 'chemical proof'.

Alas, can no longer remember which was which.

Norman

Thanks

I seem to recall dad having a circular black one as well but may be memory playing up. Certainly remember the cropped corners one, all made in some sort of composition- reminded me of lino

Thanks

Hello Pete,

My older brother and I followed my father into the RAF after the war and all three had similar dog tags (red & green) alas, I have never come across a circular black tag. Our service spanned the years 1941 - 1996. If I can find my own tags, currently buried in the attic, I'll put them on line to view if you wish. Incidentally, the red one I mentioned earlier on post 4 would be better described as 'red oxide'
    Last edited by namrondooh; 14th May 2012 at 10:07. Reason: adding final sentence