Thread: Pay Parades (1944/1945)

Thanks

Default Pay Parades (1944/1945)

Is anyone able to clarify the procedures at Pay Parade (1944 / 1945)

My understanding is that the Airman's Service and Pay Book had two sections, Part I the airman's details and optional short will and Part II the Pay Book.

Again my understanding is that Part I was carried by the airman, Part II held by the RAF.

At Pay Parade, when the airman had been called and responded with the last 3 digits of his service number:

firstly, was his entire wage (less deductions) paid over in cash?
    secondly, was he presented with his Part II for signature to confirm receipt of the monies paid?

Any help would be much appreciated
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

PeteT, Hi,
    Sorry, can't help with 1944/45. But my experience of Pay Parades was a few years later - can't have changed all that much.
    Formal Pay Parades (as you describe) were dangerous places for young airmen. SWOs and/or Discip Sgts were liable to be lurking there demanding haircuts and threatening Charges if shoes/boots were not much shinier next time! The only ones I regularly attended were during Basic Training.
    In 1944/45 you couldn’t say “Sorry, Sir, I can’t fuel your bomber (or re-arm your fighter) ‘cos I’ve got to go on Pay Parade”.
    I did the rest of my Nat Svc (early 50’s) on shifts (covering 24/7). IIRC regular shift workers could go on a Casual Pay Parade – i.e. you went to Pay Accounts, produced your F1250, were paid, and you signed for the money (can’t remember the Form number). Overseas we were paid fortnightly (don’t know when that came in). Air Traffic, Met, Signals, Fire Sect, etc, all lived in the same block of Nissen huts. On Pay Day a Sgt from Pay Accounts would come round and pay you. You signed some Form (1360 seems to come out of the confused depths of my memory). I’ve even been woken up (in bed, off Nights) at 1000 given my money, signed the form, and collapsed back to sleep!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 22nd April 2012 at 12:49.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!