Thread: Sgt N.C.Keeffe RAAF 12 sqn

Thanks

Default Sgt N.C.Keeffe RAAF 12 sqn

I am looking for anyone who knew or who has details of the ops this airman flew from Wickenby on 12 squadron bomber command in April 1943. He was KIA on the Stettin raid 20/21st April 43. As far as I know there are no ops records sqns for this period in existence.

Thanks in advance, Peter

Thanks

Hello,

Can't tell you the exact number of ops F/Sgt Keeffe RAAF flew, but it would not be many. Sgt Keeffe, whist at No.1660 HCU, had occasion, on 14-2-1943, to force-land Manchester I L7286 at Waddington*. By the time he had taken a spot of leave prior to his posting to No.12 Sqn, it would have left a very short time frame for ops.

* See: BCL8/39

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 23rd April 2012 at 03:18.

Thanks

Default Keeffe RAAF cont

Thanks for that

Been looking to confirm this chap was on the Plzen op on the 16th April 1943. No ops records exist for that night. So I am dependent upon personal archives, family members and log books etc.

Thanks Peter

Thanks

Default Keeffe RAAF cont

The only other thing I know is he flew Lancaster PH-G in from Beaulieu at 09:16 on the 19th April was that from landing away from ops to Plzen or possibly Spetzia? Who knows?

Peter

Thanks

Default More Keeffe RAAF

Looked at the tower records again and it shows Keeffe landing PH-G from Beaulieu having taken off from there at around 8 am landing at Wickenby at around 9 am. Therefore it was most probably Plzen that he had been on and then return to base the next day.

Peter

Thanks

Was the first name of Sgt. Keefe Norbert? If so he was the friend of Sgt Frederick Anderson who flew with him before flying with P/O Ford, and this may solve the mystery of why Andy, Sgt Anderson, is wearing the kangaroo badge in the photo that I have of him but not in the photo of the crew photo with P/O Ford. Both Sgt Keefe and P/O Ford were RAAF.

Pauline.

Thanks

Hello Pauline,

Yes, Keeffe's full name was: (AUS413208) Norbert Clement KEEFFE RAAF.

Col.

Thanks

Thank you Col, now I shall have to look to see if I can find a photo of Norbert Keeffe as he is obviously the man/lad that my cousin remembers her husband Sgt Frederick Anderson talking about, she could only remember that he was Norbert. Pieces of the jigsaw puzzle are beginning to fit into place, and I bet it was Norbert Keeffe's crew who wore the kangaroo badge.

Pauline.
    Last edited by annpauline; 19th December 2012 at 22:41.

Thanks

Pauline,

You will find details of F/Sgt Keeffe's crew here:

http://www.awm.gov.au/catalogue/research_centre/pdf/rc09125z017_1.pdf

See: p.458 of 479

Col.

Thanks

Interesting Col, thank you. I see that Norbert KEEFFE's Mid Upper Gunner 20 April 1943 on the raid to Stettin when ED326 went missing, was Sgt G BRADY. I wonder why, if Sgt Frederick Anderson had come to Wickenby as part of KEEFFE's crew, why he wasn't on that flight. I know that he was a particular friend of Norbert, and that my cousin had a letter from KEEFFE's parents after Andy, her husband, was killed. It's all a bit of a mystery.

Pauline.