Thread: F/Sgt. George Alfred Tansley AFM, 1940.

Thanks

Default F/Sgt. George Alfred Tansley AFM, 1940.

Hallo,

Can anyone please help with this airman ? A pilot I think. He was commissioned from F/Sgt. (328952) to Pilot Officer (44767) w.e.f. 25 September 1940. However I can find nothing else on him BEFORE this point on the London Gazette. What did he win the Air Force Medal for ? I am particularly interested in the unit(s) he served in during 1939-1941.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Default G. A. Tansley

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
    Hallo,

Can anyone please help with this airman ? A pilot I think. He was commissioned from F/Sgt. (328952) to Pilot Officer (44767) w.e.f. 25 September 1940. However I can find nothing else on him BEFORE this point on the London Gazette. What did he win the Air Force Medal for ? I am particularly interested in the unit(s) he served in during 1939-1941.

Regards,

Martin.
    Hello Martin

When you cannot find people in the Gazette, type "FlightGlobal Archive" and "Tansley" into Google and you get the pdf page of Flight dated the January 5, 1939 edition of Flight ...

THE Air Ministry announces that the King has been graciously
    pleased to approve of the following rewards to the undermentioned
    officers and airmen: —
    THE ATR FORCE CROSS
    ROYAL AIR FORCE:—Wing Cdr. H. K. Goode, D.S.O., D.F.C., Sqn.
    IAI. R. O. Jones, Sqn. Ldr. G. R. Ashton, Sqn. Ldr. J. W. Gillan,
    Sqn Ldr J. F. X. McKenna, Sqn. Ldr. S. R. Ubee, Sqn. Ldr. G.
    Silyn-Roberts, Fit. Lt. W. D. Disbrey, F / O (Acting Flight Lieutenant)
    N. M. Hall, F/O. J. A. Kent, P / O . , now F / O . , G. F.
    Rodney.
    RESERVE OF A IR FORCE OFFICERS:—Fit. Lt. C. A. Pike.
    ROYAL AUSTRALIAN AIR FORCE:—F/O. H. A. Durant.
    THE AIR FORCE MEDAL
    ROYAL AIR FORCE:—Fit. Sgts. W. Lawry, J. N. Ogle, J. M. Whitwell
    and R. G. Williams, Sgt. G. H. L. Baker, Sgt. (now Flight Sgt.)
    D. A. Haydon, Sgts. J. Shearsmith, E. T. Summers, and G. A.
    Tansley, Corpls. V. J . Carter and D. H. Davis.

There may be other Flight returns as you scroll through the search engine returns.

Then search some of the other unusual adjacent surnames from Flight, in the London Gazette and I usually locate the one I'm looking for, also search the London Gazette with the Service numbers only as well. Unfortunately, the electronic reader has missed the odd name.

Also mentioned in Flight November 21, 1940.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 22nd April 2012 at 20:33.

Thanks

Default "328952 Sergeant George Alfred TANSLEY"

"The KING has been graciously pleased to
    approve of the following rewards to the undermentioned
    officers and airmen: —"

"Awarded the Air Force Medal."

"328952 Sergeant George Alfred TANSLEY" is mentioned in the "Supplement to the London Gazette, 2 January, 1939" on page 21.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 22nd April 2012 at 20:55.

Thanks

Hallo Mark,

Thanks very much for that information, especially the date of the award. I have something to go on now.

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Default Rewarded AFM

Hello Martin

I typed in several of the other adjacent names receiving the AFM into Google and scrolling down got a return to the Spink catalogue for one of them and a very quick look indicated he was rewarded his AFM for being mentioned in despatches twice, going the extra mile in his unit and in his service, being an example etc.

I did not look to see if the paragraph of information on the Spink site about the other AFM recipient came from his family, or was researched and had a TNA file reference? I am aware that quite a few families with RAF members have kept all manner of information, about their loved ones.

What is interesting about your man Tansley, is that he received his AFM when he was a Sergeant and that it was classed as a "reward".

Regards Mark

Thanks

Martin,

Your man had been around quite a lot prior to his AFM award, having been awarded the LS&GCM wef 2 April 1937, suggesting an enlistment date of April 1919. I have the AFC and AFM group to Jack SHEARSMITH - AFM in same gazette at TANSLEY - and he had been employed on instructor duties for some considerable time at the time of his award. He had been recommended previously for the AFM but the recommendation wasn't successful. As you probably know, in the immediate years prior to WW2 there was a big build up of RAF strengths and flying training - hence the increased number of awards of AFCs and AFMs. The decorations I have checked for this period all refer to instructional duties, but there will be a few that aren't. Jack SHEARSMITH's successful AFM recommendation is in the National Archives file AIR2/9315 - the file contains other recommendations.

Regards

Jim

Thanks

Hallo Mark and Jim,

Many thanks for your information, which I certainly would not have been able to ferret out.

I have found him with 206 Squadron during 1939-1940. He was pilot of Hudson P5153 on 6 August 1940 when it crashed on landing after returning early from a patrol. Although unhurt he seems not to have flown again with 206 Squadron. He was commissioned during September 1940 in the Accountant branch of the RAF. This may well tie in with his age and lenght of service ?

Regards and thanks again to all who helped,

Martin.

Thanks

Default For Ross

Ross,
    TANSLEY - 6-8-1940 - P5153......................
    Please have a look at your CC Losses Vol.1 page 54
    Regards,
    Henk.