Thread: Wheeler Brothers BSRU

Thanks

Default Wheeler Brothers BSRU

I have been researching siblings who served and died during the war, focusing on those who served in the RAF.

I have come across a lot, with some even being twins. In a few cases I have found siblings killed whilst serving in the same Squadrons, though killed on different dates (but there are a couple of cases where siblings died in the same aircraft).

There is one case that I am having difficulty finding details on. It just seems too much of a coincidence that both brothers died on the same date, in the same unit but buried in different countries. Can anyone shed any further light?

WHEELER, RONALD
    Service No: 1169475
    Date of Death: 07/11/1944
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    B.S.R.U.
    Grave Reference Sec. F. Row H. Grave 896.
    Cemetery BATH (LOCKSBROOK) CEMETERY
    Additional Information: Son of Arthur William and Harriet Wheeler, of Weston Park, Bath. His brother, William Evan Wheeler, also died on service.

WHEELER, WILLIAM EVAN
    Service No: 1173437
    Date of Death: 07/11/1944
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    B.S.R.U.
    Grave Reference Plot 9 Row 2. Grave 13.
    Cemetery OOSTENDE NEW COMMUNAL CEMETERY
    Additional Information: Son of Arthur William and Harriet Wheeler, of Weston Park, Bath, Somerset. His brother Ronald also died on Service.

Thank you.

Thanks

Hi

They were both killed whilst on board LST 420 which was sunk by a mine as it returned to the UK having failed to get into Ostend due to adverse weather.

I assume that bodies where washed ashore on different sides of the North Sea

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you for the prompt reply, Malcolm. That has given me the lead I needed for further research.

Much appreciated.

Sheldonesque

Thanks

If you check the death register index for 1944, there is a Ronald G Wheeler aged 41 in the Bristol District, Vol 6a pg 69 but he was registered in the quarter before the sinking of LST420.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply Dennis. Thank you for that information. However, as you implied, that Ronald does not seem to have any connection with mine. Neither does that one appear on the CWGC database, so does not appear to be a war casualty. But I shall investigate whether there maybe some other connection between the two.

Thank you for the lookup though. Much appreciated.