Thread: Aircraft multi-engine lost on 6 january 1944, north-east of Coltishall

Thanks

Default Aircraft multi-engine lost on 6 january 1944, north-east of Coltishall

Hi,

On 6 january 1944 mid afternoon, a patrol of n611 sqdn took off from Coltishall on an air sea rescue. They were ordered to patrol a dinghy approximatively 90 miles on a course of 40 (ie east North sea). They found the dinghy containing 5 men with another dinghy empty close by. (..) When they left a liberator and 2 Hudsons were patrolling.

Does anybody know which a/c lost in sea on that 6 january 44 (or before) ?

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Bertrand,

Possible -
    Lancaster I ME577 UM-T2 626 Sqn RAF Wickenby 6th Jan 1944. Op. Stettin.
    Ditched on return journey 100 off Withernsea (Yorkshire coast)
    A/C had been in the air 10 hours and ran out of petrol.
    No reports of injuries.
    (this would place them n/e of Coltishall)

Crew;
    F/Sgt. AG Twitchett
    Sgt. D Leatherbarrow
    F/Sgt, D Robertson
    Sgt. S Burnell
    Sgt. CW Farrant
    P/O. M Hewitt
    Sgt. PFJ Sykes

Source - Chorley 1944.

Chris

Thanks

Hi Bertrand
    This one might work, but the crew numbers are not exact. Chorley BCL Vol 5 gives the loss of 626 Sqn Lancaster I,ME577,UM-T2 which ditched at approx 1000 on 6/Jan/44 running out of fuel on the return from an op to Stettin.The position is given as approx 100mls off Withernsea,E Yorkshire,. Withernsea is on the coast on the spit of land that closes off the N side of the Humber Estuary and as no bearings are given it could be the same position as your report based on Coltishall. Chorley reports that there were no injuries and all 7 were rescued.If it was a controlled ditching it suggests that there could have been enough warning to the shore for a SAR op to be mounted.The difference to your incident is that yours seems to suggest that 2 crew were lost.
    Edit: Mine crossed with Chris!! The only difference is that my copy of Chorley gives a different crew list
    F/Lt W N Belford RAAF
    Sgt H Hill
    F/Sgt A J P Lee
    Sgt J C Lee
    Sgt T S Trinder
    Sgt H Mewburn
    F/Sgt R Gould RAAF
    Further Edit. Belford's A705 has been digitised by the National Archive of Australia and this records the loss of this crew on an op to Berlin on 27/28 Jan '44 with all kia except for F/Sgt A J P Lee, who became POW
    Regards
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick; 24th April 2012 at 17:38.

Thanks

Dick
    You are spot on with your crew for ME577 UM-T2,
    I must remember to put my glasses on.
    As I started with my answer, I had to attend to an urgent matter regarding work being completed on my house.
    Not the best excuse for a major typo, but its the best I can come up with!

Chris

Thanks

Chris
    You managed to skip back a page! the crew you quoted were killed with 12 Sqn and are listed in exactly the same place on the page but it is p16 and not p18.
    welcome to the senior moments club!!
    Best wishes
    Dick

Thanks

Many thanks Chris and Dick for replying to my question ! With my glasses I understand that this Lancs of n626 Sqn ditched running out of fuel on the return from an op to Stettin

Bertrand

Thanks

Hi Bertrand
    The Lanc. was reported in Chorley BCL as running out of fuel on the return from Stettin. Chorley lists a complete crew as being saved. which are those on the list on my post. I looked the captain up on the Australian Archive and found that his Form A705(Casualty Report) had been digitised, but sadly it recorded another incident ,which was his loss about 2 weeks later than the ditching,whilst attacking Berlin.It listed the same crew as in the ditched a/c which would suggest that Chorley was correct for the 1st incident.
    Regards
    Dick