Thread: No. 443 Squadron ORB - June 16, 944

Thanks

Default No. 443 Squadron ORB - June 16, 944

Hi all,

I am seeking any detail related to the following sweep:

Unit: No. 443 Squadron (RCAF)
    Date: June 16, 1944
    Airfield: B-3 (Sainte-Croix-sur-Mer, Normandy)
    Target: Argentan

Four pilots were shot down:

S/L James Dickie Hall (C1624) - KIA
    F/L Hugh Russel (J5818) - KIA
    F/L Donald Melvin Walz (C12586) - Escaped
    F/O Luis Perez Gomez (J29172) - KIA

I am particularly looking for the time and place of the combat, and the Luftwaffe unit that was involved in the melee.

Thank you,

Fox.
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Fox,

A few years ago I pulled the service file of Perez Gomez at the LAC in Ottawa for a project I was doing on Caribbean basin and Latino airmen in the RCAF. Sadly, I placed the jpgs I took on an external hard drive which crashed a few months ago.

From memory I can tell you that there was utter confusion on this sweep as MRES attempted to recreate what happened post war. The other thing which stands out was that in his will he left everything to his ground crew which caused some post-war squabble with his family.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks, Dave. Anything else?
    Author of Crash in Bayeux - The Last Flight of Sergeant Ferguson (ISBN 979-10-91044-13-4) - www.facebook.com/crashinbayeux.

Thanks

Fox,

As I mentioned in my other post I have located my backup copy of Perez Gomez's service file. Please send me your email address via PM and I will forward you the documents that way. Way too much information for me to transcribe.

Regards,
    Dave

Thanks

Dave,

I'm giving you my email address via PM. Thanks a lot for your help,

Regards,

Fox.

Thanks

Fox,

Documents sent to your email address.

I take it you located Perez Gomez's service history which placed in the thread marked "Mexican Pilot"?

Regards,
    Dave

Thanks

I have received the documents -- I will get into it as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Thanks

Default 443 Squadron

Good day all, my name is Mike Walz and I am the son of Donald Melvin Walz C12586. I do have a bit of history regarding Perez-Gomez and have been at his grave site in Sassy, France. Is there anything that I can help with? I would also appreciate any information coming back, especially February 1945 info when dad was shot down a second time near Evere, Belgium. Thank you

Thanks

Hi Mike,

I don't have that many details regarding your father bailing out on the 24th of February, 1945.

Flight Lieutenant Donald Melvin Walz (No. 443 Squadron RCAF) was hit by Flak during an armed reconnaissance and had to bail out over Münster. His aircraft was Spitfire LF XVI SM478. The squadron code was "2I" but I don't know anything about the aircraft individual letter. Volume 3 of Norman Franks' Fighter Command Losses says he was able to evade but other sources say he was made a POW.

Here is a link about your father: http://www.cieldegloire.com/003_walz_d_m.php

Hope it helps,

Fox.
    Last edited by Fox; 7th November 2012 at 11:34.

Thanks

Thanks for the info Fox. He certainly was captured and spent the last few months of the war in POW. We have the documentation and my understanding he was held in Stalg Luft 3. He was made the billet officer from the stories that he told us. Boy this is difficult research and I thank you again for your response