Thread: RAF Stanley History

Thanks

Default RAF Stanley History

Hello to All,
    I am putting together a short ‘potted history’ of RAF Stanley (Op CORPORATE). Various websites (both Official and un-official) have been trawled for data.
    I have, so far, acquired little more than an A4 page of Dates & Occurrences.
    I have, so far, acquired little more than an A4 page of Units At (or Attached to) RAF Stanley.
    I need folk to delve deep into their memories. I need Units/dates/times/persons. Then, when we’ve accumulated as much as possible I will sort it all out. This is not going to be a book (or similar) – it will simply be a record of what happened, when, and to whom. I would like, for example, to know the precise dates that RAF Stanley came into – and went out of – existence (and when the first Formal Dining-In Night was held – I was there and the water was dripping down over naked light-bulbs in the tented “Mess”!!! A copy of the announcement in the following day’s Daily Telegraph would be priceless!). You see the sort of thing I’m after – (a) strict fact, and (b) the odd bit of scuttlebutt! Far be it for me to approach some, by now no doubt knighted, Air Marshal and ask if he really drove a Landrover with only 3 wheels on it from the Coastel to RAF Stanley! One must maintain decorum!
    Any help will be gratefully received.
    Ross is ‘content’ that this thread (dealing with relatively recent events!) should appear.
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 1st May 2012 at 13:39.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

And where is "Lunchbox" when we need him?????????????????????????

Thanks

A few more queries (where are all the folk who inhabited RAF Stanley in its early days?).
    Who was/were RAF 1 EOD Unit?
    Ditto BDRF (Battle Damage Repair Flight)? They were called in when it was discovered that the disc from a Navy Helo was at the precise height of the Airbridge's wing tip! (Details on request!!!).
    Which RAF Regt Units were there? (I recall a briefing on airfield defence in a sandbagged 'pokey' near the Twr from some very earnest Rockape).
    Was it 5 Inf Bde TACP who were the first Air Traffickers at RAF Stanley?
    There was a RAF Police Dog Det at one stage. They patrolled the a/f at the same time as we (Met Men) went out to do our Obs. Who were they? We fed their dogs bits of Compo sausage on the end of the fork cellotaped to a ruler!
    Where has all this history gone? Pse help me reconstruct it!
    TIA
    Peter Davies

Thanks

The best pic of RAF Stanley International Airport in its hey-day I've found is at http://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk/E-H.htm (scroll down to Falkland).
    The ATC Twr/Met is at the bottom left.
    You will note that the runway extended centre-line is close to the south shore of the headland (top right). Conversations with the more expert Herc crews (Rowlands, Akister, etc) elicited the information that if they'd ever had to approach Stanley in max clag from the west, they'd have followed the headland coast at 50 feet ASL with wheels and flaps down. When the Co said "Abeam the Lady Elizabeth" they would have just lifted the Herc up a bit, counted slowly to 10, and then pulled back slightly on the throttles. Should, as Bill said, have put you down right on the end of the Stanley runway. Don't know if this was ever done - but I suspect it might have!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies