Thread: Mystery Bale-Out "March 11, 1932" P/O J. G. Younghusband Old Sarum, Wiltshire

Thanks

Default Mystery Bale-Out "March 11, 1932" P/O J. G. Younghusband Old Sarum, Wiltshire

I have a mystery bale out that is supposed to have occurred March 11, 1932 to P/O J. G. Younghusband at Old Sarum, Wiltshire - P/O J. G. Younghusband wen to 2 Sqn Manston around 1931/1932 but I was wondering if anyone could further identify this incident. The information I have above is all that I have for now

Thanks

Paul

Thanks

Small Update I now know the "what, why and how" but not the "when and where"!

AIR 10/1494 Report on Flying Accidents during Jan.-June 1932 Page 10 (2nd Incident in Half Year) Atlas "Pilot unable to recover from right hand spiral. Passenger ordered to jump and landed successfully. Pilot subsequently regained control and landed aeroplane successfully" - I am sure Younghusband was with 2 Sqn at the time (Manston) but not mentioned in ORB

The issue is based on the date it might not be accurate, the reason (in that in numeric list) and the rest of the incidents mentioned are all in the correct Order (date wise)

AIR 10/1494 Report on Flying Accidents during Jan.-June 1932 Page 10 (3rd Incident in Half Year) Ripon "Pilot lost control during dive. Resorted to parachute and alighted on sea" - This is Lt Patrick George Osric Sydney-Turner RN attached RAF at Gosport, Hants with confirmed date of March 10, 1932 (Newspaper report: Western Morning News: Friday11 Mar 1932) - Serial of this aircraft is unknown to me at presence cannot find a Ripon write off that matches

This indicates "March 11, 1932" at Old Sarum, Wiltshire could be in error

Thanks

Paul, Hi,
    Rod Priddle's "Wings Over Wiltshire" may come to your rescue! I think there are copies on the Forum? "Lyffe" has one? - if he's on the circuit! Might save you from getting an Inter-Library Loan?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I don't know if this helps or hinders, Paul, but there is no reference to any incident at Old Sarum during 1932 in Wings over Wiltshire . The resident flying unit at the time appears to have been 16 (Army Cooperation) Squadron equipped with Armstrong Whitworth Atlases - at least there's no reference to any other unit. I think that if Rod Priddle had any knowledge of a flying accident it would have been included as his entries for the interwar period are mostly background administration.

The first accident to which he refers during the 1919-1939 period is that of an Avro Type 671 Rota 1 (Cierva C.30A Autogyro) K4234 on 21 January 1935.

Brian
    Edit - I was double-checking as Peter entered the fray!

Thanks

Brian/Peter

Thanks for advice/checking

Paul;

Thanks

Again, I don't know how much this will help, Paul, but from Flight and rafweb:

Younghusband went to
    29 Sqn wef 21.10.1930 (North Weald)
    2 Sqn wef 26.9.1931 (Manston)
    33(B) Sqn wef 20.6.1932 (Netheravon)

Brian

Thanks

Brian thanks for the update of Younghusband posting was to C Flight at 2 Sqn at the time.. I can only assume he was on way to or from Old Sarum at the time