Thread: Research Assistance

Thanks

Default Research Assistance

I am trying to find information about my father in law who served in bomber command. He was a WO in the RAAF and became a navigator. I have his service record in Australia but it does not identify any squadron that he flew with. He flew in Lancasters but as he rarely talked about the war little information is known and now he is in a retirement home with dementia. In January 45 he was with 4(0) AFU. Is there a record repository where I can be directed to in the UK that might have further information? I seem to have struck a dead end in Australia. Thank you

Thanks

hi Gyran

Welcome to the Forum - can you please advise the name of your father-in-law, and service no., and any details of his RAAF record that you wish to be put in the public domain, then I am sure that somebody will be able to help you.

Allan
    Allan Hillman

Thanks

Default Research

Quote Originally Posted by allan125 View Post
    hi Gyran

Welcome to the Forum - can you please advise the name of your father-in-law, and service no., and any details of his RAAF record that you wish to be put in the public domain, then I am sure that somebody will be able to help you.

Allan
    Thanks Allan
    His name is Terence Thomas Livingstone. Service No 433601.
    He was posted to the UK in Sept 1944 to 11 PDRC.
    The date on his record is not clear but sometime early 45 he was posted to4(0)AFU.
    In June 45 he moved to a unit - 10 OTO then shortly after to 21 OTU. In his record it lists Whitby Bay as where he was attached following Overseas Headquarters but no date is listed with this attachment.
    Any suggestions for where I look next would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Greg
    There were another couple of units before coming back to Australia in 46

Thanks

Hi Greg,

In April 1945 very little flying training was taking place. Most of the advanced flying training units had either disbanded or were in the process of doing so.

No.4 (O)AFU does not list his by name but records for April 1945
    Postings In

AUS Nav
    No.302 Course - 1
    No.308 Course - 1

The Aus Nav on No.302 course was posted out in May so we can deduce that he was on No.308 Course.

All flying training ceased on 5th June 1945 prior to unit disbandment and "All trainees posted to holding units"

So this fits in with the dates in his service record.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Greg

Page 35 of your father's service record (http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/DetailsReports/ItemDetail.aspx?Barcode=5539723) in particular, but also pages 4 and 22, suggest to me that your father never entered operations. It may well have been that the War in Europe was over before he had the opportunity to complete his training, which was no doubt slowed down / extended at this period of the War.

Page 35 also suggests the aircraft he flew in were Ansons and Wellingtons; there is no evidence in his records of Lancasters. Unless you have a Squadron number, I don't think any UK records will help you.

Any surviving records for training units are generally vague on participants, although there are exceptions. Try seraching the UK National Archives website (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp?j=1) for 4(O)AFU (No. 4 (Observers) Advanced Flying Unit) and 21 OTU (No. 21 Operational Training Unit).

Perhaps not the response you were hoping for, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hello GRyan,

Would echo Steve's views below. If you can get sight of Terence's flying logbook it will confirm aircraft types flown in. At that point of the war it is doubtful (due to his training state) that he flew with any operational squadrons.

Ian

Thanks

Default Thanks

Thanks to Allan, Ross, Steve and Ian for providing information and insight. It does appear that my wifes father didn't enter operations and was still in training at the end of hostilities. That is OK. Whether training or in combat, they were all brave men. We don't have any details about his logs so can only go on the copy of his service file. Thanks Steve for casting your eye over his record. It was the first one I had looked through, and was in parts, confusing. Thanks and well done. keep up the good work.