Thread: Recruit Centres organisation strusture

Thanks

Default Recruit Centres organisation strusture

Can anyone please tell me about the organisational structure of Recruit Centres in WWII?
    I have a reference in Januray 1941 to 'No 3 Wing, No 5 Recruit Centre, West Kirby'.
    Where recruit centres grouped into wings? If so is this the correct Wing for No 5 RC?

Thanks

Not a complete answer by any means but my understanding is that many of the training centres, such as ITW, Recruit Centres etc split the recruits into groups of about 30 men, with the group allocated a "flight" within a "squadron" within a "wing" eg 6 Flight, D Squadron, 2 Wing. (There did not seem to be any consistency regarding the use of numbers or letters assigned to the flight / squadron / wing).

Many of the group photographs that were taken have chalk boards included in the photo showing these categories (see the West Kirby website for examples).

I don't know if the "wings" part had any significance (eg a particular weeks intake or a particular training programme) .... hopefully someone else will be able to provide feedback on that element.
    Last edited by PeteT; 3rd May 2012 at 22:06.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thanks for reply. That gives me what I need.