Thread: Halifax B. Mk. II DT675 - which version?

Thanks

Default Halifax B. Mk. II DT675 - which version?

Hello everyone

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to identify which particular model B. Mk. II Halifax DT675 was?

Was it a Series 1, Series 1a or a Special version of either? According to the Air Britain Halifax File, it was part of a batch of B. Mk. II and GR. Mk. II versions built by English Electric, delivered in December 1942, and served with 408 Sqn coded EQ-O, but it only lists it as a B. Mk. II. I'm looking to build the new Revell kit as this aircraft, and need to know:

Which type of nose it had - turret, glazed or solid?
    Which, if any, type of upper turret it had? Two-gun or four-gun?
    Vertical tails - early triangular style or later lozenge style?
    Radiators - Morris or Gallay?
    H2S Fairing - yay or nay?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Regadrs

Simon

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

This may well depend upon when you wish to model it, as many of the features you describe were modifications that were introduced in service. As always, look for a photo. However, this is a fairly early example which (and I haven't checked) may not have lasted long enough to gain the later changes: it would have been a very tired airframe by then.

I found one of DT643 after 10 operations with 77 Sq, which was a B.Mk.II series 1(Special) with the Tollerton nose fairing and the Gallay radiators, triangular fins and (probably, it says but doesn't show) the Type C 2-gun turret. It retained the tall radio mast behind the cockpit and high profile astrodome. This is too early for H2S, the glazed nose, the rectangular fins, or the Morris block radiators. I would tend to query the retention of the turret.

Another matter might be the fixed down-landing light of earlier aircraft, but this feature is not included in the Revell model. I would advise you to wait for the forthcoming Aeroclub replacement engine cowlings and nacelles, but use of the Freightdog replacements will at least make the engines look more like the originals although not affecting their gross enlargement. It will also provide useful replacement parts such as the fixed tailwheel. Better exhausts can be obtained from Quickboost via Hannants.

Thanks

Many thanks indeed Graham.

If it's any help, I'm looking to depict it as it appeared in February 1943, so not long after it entered service in December 1942. An ORB report from February 26 1943 lists seven crew on board, so would that include a nose gunner?

The only image I could find of a DT-serialled Halifax II was a profile illustration in the Warpaint book on page 4, showing DT550 of 76 Sqn, again with the 'Tollerton' nose, with a 'raised' four-gun turret, triangular fairings and Gallay radiators.

I do have both the Freightdog correction sets.

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 4th May 2012 at 22:52. Reason: Date error

Thanks

Default Halifax DT675

I know this is a very old post but I've only just joined the forum, I picked up a book called Britains Wonderful Air Force which was published around 1943. In the book is a photograph listed as 'halifax crew go aboard' and the aircraft number is DT675! When I put this into Google your forum entry came up. If you are willing to send your email address to me at nirrec@gmail.com I could send a pic of the photo

Thanks

Many thanks for the offer, I'll drop you an e-mail.

Regards

Simon