Thread: F/Lt L B Everett

Thanks

Default F/Lt L B Everett

Hello, I'm new here and look forward to joining in.

First off, can anyone with RAF lists or similar help me trace a F/Lt L B Everett ? The rank and name are taken from the box in which Air Ministry (S7d) despatched this gentleman's WW2 campaign medals - including Air Crew Europe Star. I've owned them for around thirty years, so possibly he had died around 1980 when I acquired them.

Despite the advent of the internet during that period, I've traced nothing about him. All I know is that his medals were despatched to The Farm at Kingsway Hospital, Derby. Unfortunately this appears to have been an institution for people with mental health issues.

I would be grateful for any information or suggestions. Not sure that I have either sufficient grounds or facts to submit an official enquiry!

Thanks for reading this.

Thanks

By September 1943 it looks like your man was a Flying Officer with Serial Number 144698 he was either an air gunner or wireless operator.

Not much but a start,

Regards,

Ian

Thanks

Vanguard21, Hi. Welcome to the Forum,
    Yr man may have been Leonard Boris Everett, born Derby 15 Dec 1916. Enlisted (751870) as an RAFVR Pilot some time shortly after 1937. Commissioned Plt Off, from Flt Sgt, in the RAFVR GD Branch (144698) 15 Mar 1943. A Leonard Boris Everett death was Registered at Blackburn, Lancs, in May 1995 (Ref 5801D, D3B, 202, 595). It might be the case that his medals were sent to his last known address? His parents (or he) might have been on the staff of Kingsway Hospital? All this from the London Gazette and a couple of BMD websites.
    Now what he did in his RAF career may very well be known to some - you'll just have to get lucky that they're reading this and reply.
    Good luck
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default A Flying Start!

Two replies with information during the first hour!

Many thanks chaps!

Any further advice - especially regarding Leonard's RAF career - welcome.

Thanks

V21,
    And if you really want to "trace" him then you might have to get a copy of the Death Certificate/Registration. This will tell you precisely where he died. It will tell you what (sometimes in obscure medical terms!) caused his death. But, importantly, it will tell you who The Informant was, and his/her address. For a Death in 1995 it is just possible that The Informant lives at the same address (unless The Informant was a Hospital Secretary, or a Care Home Manager). The Informant may be a close relative. That close relative may (rpt, may) have Flt Lt L B Everett's Aircrew Log Book. Priceless! From this Log Book you will be able to work out what he did, where, and when. It is likely to have all sorts of acronyms, etc, etc. There are many, on this forum, who have the knowledge to assist in the decryption of these arcane numbers/letters.
    The alternative is to go for his Service Record - more expensive but (usually) more informative. If The Informant was a close relative then things are rather more straight forward - you get them to request the Service Record. Again, there are a number of variations on the theme!
    Softly, softly, catchee monkey!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!