Thread: 63 Squadron - Air Spotting Pool

Thanks

Default 63 Squadron - Air Spotting Pool

Bonjour everybody,

I wonder if any member of the forum has been researching 63 Squadron history during its spotting days in June 1944 at Lee-on-Solent. As I am writing the story of one of its pilots, I am actually seeking pictures of this squadron aircrews but also of its Spitfires, as I have no idea on how these Spitfires looked like in June 1944. 63 Squadron apparently did not carry Squadron code letters, maybe only an individual call letter that could have been overpainted by the black & white invasion bands... If someone has the proof in picture, I would be more than grateful to see it.
    Regards to all,
    Mickael

Thanks

I think that whole series fo photos taken at the Pool is at IWM. Aircraft there were not assigned to a Squadron, I think, but taken from the Pool, hence the name.

Thanks

Default Lee-on -Solent

Hello Micky,
    As well as 63 sqn at Lee-on-Solent doing Fleet Spotting with the RN was 26 sqn doing the same job.
    There could be photos with this sqn.
    Roy

Thanks

There was a number of Squadrons in the Pool, including US Navy one.

Thanks

Thanks Franek and Roy for your answers,
    Im glad to learn that the IWM could hold pictures of the Air Spotting Pool. And it makes sense that the spotter pilots flew whatever Spitfire was available, not their assigned squadron planes. Unfortunately 63 Sqn ORB is missing Form 541, not giving details of their sorties and possible individual letters, but thanks to Roys remark, I checked the 26 Sqn ORB and discovered indeed 63 Sqn pilots flying 26 Sqn planes. I guess however that each of the two RAF squadron involved retained its markings, that could have been overpainted by the Invasion bands, making very difficult to identify them in the pictures.
    Mickael