Thread: 41 Base

Thanks

Default 41 Base

I wonder if anyone can shed any light onto the following which appears in the postings out section of the 78 Sqn ORB for may 1944:

posted to "(658) 41 Base"

I understand that 41 base was at Marston Moor and that it covered a number of local airfields and that it was not uncommon for aircrew to spend time at a 'Base' both prior to and after joining an operational Squadron but what does the (658) piece mean? The chap it refers to was a pilot who joined the Sqn from 41 Base on 21 Apr and only completed one op as a 2nd pilot before returning to 41 Base on 24 May 44. Could it be that he was not up to scratch and was sent back for further training?

Any suggestions?

thanks Daz

Thanks

Daz,
    Could (658) be a typo/misread and it is really 1658, as in 1658 HCU, based at Riccall which was also a satellite station of Marston Moor?
    From what I've seen on HCU orbs, when a pilot goes missing whilst doing 2nd pilot duties with a squadron it says eg.
    "12345. Sgt Smith. - Pilot, a pupil, missing whilst on operations with xyz squadron" and sometimes underneath
    "He was attached to that squadron for operational sorties as 2nd Pilot"

Whether this attachment was for a fixed length of time, number of Ops or just at the discretion of his pilot on the operational squadron he flew with I don't know, but it could be that instead of not being up to scratch he was competent enough to be sent straight back to 41 Base to be moved to an operational squadron of his own, which might not neccesarily be the one he did his 2nd pilot duties with.

Pete

Thanks

Pete

thanks for your reply, I have done a bit of digging elsewhere and it would appear that the other members of his crew refused to fly with him and he was sent back to 41 Base! More to follow later.

thanks

Daz

Thanks

Further to my earlier post it would appear that after several incidents whilst flying on primarily missions the entire crew lost faith in their pilot and promptly refused to fly with him, there had also been one incident whilst on a Nickel operation over France when the crew was at 10 OTU. They were all brought before the CO and asked to explain themselves and as a result, the pilot was sent to 41 Base and the remainder of the crew were sent off to 35 Sqn as Pathfinders. I would imagine that the record should say 1658 HCU as Peter suggested and that the pilot concerned either joined another Sqn after some more training or perhaps was fortunate to keep his commission and was employed in a non-flying role and not charged with being LMF. From the London Gazette he was still serving in 1946.

Daz

Thanks

Daz

I am sure this happened on many occasions ....... but do you happen to have the names of the crew that refused to fly with him as I have come across this story in previous research and I am wondering if it is the same crew (it was certainly around the same time, they were at 10 OTU, 41 base and they went off to 35 PFF)

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 14th May 2012 at 22:32.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]