Thread: Crew of Halifax LK 878

Thanks

Default Crew of Halifax LK 878

I'm searching fo Bob May and Tommy Wilson who were at Topcliffe in 1945. Our Skipper and Engineer were killed while flying with another crew. A memorial has been erected at the crash site in Felixkirk, Yorks and I have found the family of Geoff the skipper and Paddy our engineer. I also found our Bomb aimer who lived in Canada but recently died and the family of Bruce our Navigator who I am going to visit. If Bob and Tommy are still around I'm sure they would like to see the site.

Thanks

Hello Dellann,

the crash was with 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit.
    http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/45/lk878.html

To help us out, do you recall anything about where your two friends came from?

Do you happen to have any document that have their initials?

We might be able to find them assuming they are offcially named
    Robert May and Thomas Wilson though they might well have middle names as well.

Just to note, the rules of the board don't allow us too post up details of living persons but we will send you them via private message.

So, if you have any information about where they might have been from that could help us.

Did the three of you go on to join a Squadron before the wars end? Your names and initials might turn up in the Squadron ORB. Were you or they ever commishioned as officers? Names should appear in the London Gazette in that case.

Welcome to the board.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Default Crew of Halifax LK 878

Thanks for your reply, I know that Bob May came from London he left the crew at the same time as me but Tommy stayed and they went to Matching to tow gliders and then to 644 Squadron in Dorset. I'm in frequent contact with Rich Allenby and may have more info. when I've seen my Navigator's family next week, he also stayed with the crew.
    dellann

Quote Originally Posted by dennis_burke View Post
    Hello Dellann,

the crash was with 1659 Heavy Conversion Unit.
    http://www.yorkshire-aircraft.co.uk/aircraft/planes/45/lk878.html

To help us out, do you recall anything about where your two friends came from?

Do you happen to have any document that have their initials?

We might be able to find them assuming they are offcially named
    Robert May and Thomas Wilson though they might well have middle names as well.

Just to note, the rules of the board don't allow us too post up details of living persons but we will send you them via private message.

So, if you have any information about where they might have been from that could help us.

Did the three of you go on to join a Squadron before the wars end? Your names and initials might turn up in the Squadron ORB. Were you or they ever commishioned as officers? Names should appear in the London Gazette in that case.

Welcome to the board.

Thanks

Default halifax crew

I visited the widow of our navigator Bruce Perry on Saturday. Her son is most keen to learn more about his Dad's RAF career but had little new info. It makes me more keen to trace the two remaining crew members who may add something to my memories. I know that Tommy Wilson stayed with the crew under a new skip, Ken Evans and went to Matching and then to 644 Squadron at Tarrant Rushton, then went to El Quastina in Palestine. Bob May the other gunner left the crew at the same time as me in 1944.