Thread: Crash of Halifax II s/n W1096 code LQ*O 17th Nov. 1942 Newport, Essex

Thanks

Default Crash of Halifax II s/n W1096 code LQ*O 17th Nov. 1942 Newport, Essex

In Bulletin 27th Sept. 2009 member `Dakota` stated that the crash occurred after `the mid upper gunner inadvertently fired a number of rounds into the engines causing the aircraft to go into an unrecoverable spin.`
    I would like to know the source of this claim. The RAF Directorate of Flight Safety give the cause of the crash as `fire in the port inner engine.` There is no mention of anyone indavertently firing bullets into the engine. Indeed, I doubt whether it would have been possible for the gunner to have done so.
    I have the names and details of the four crew members who died in the crash. The DFS state that a fifth man survived the crash, though injured. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise.

Esztergomi 333

Thanks

Hi,

The Form 1180 for the accident is annotated as "Guns"

4 Killed 0 Injured. If someone survived he was not injured.

No AIB box is ticked so no Accident Investigation was ordered, only the normal Court of Inquiry.

"Mid Upper gunner whilst fooling with guns fired burst into port inner engine which immediately caught fire...aircraft went into flat spin to port.

AOC Invest not necessary."

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Crash of Halifax II s/n W1096 code LQ*O 17th.Nov,1942, Newport, Essex.

Good evening Ross,
    Thank you for your very prompt and illuminating response to my query.
    According to local legend one airman baled out shortly before the `plane hits the ground, but his parachute barely opened before he too came to earth. He is said to have been carried on a farm gate to the nearest road to enable him to be taken to hospital. Unfortunately the witnesses to the crash are now all dead. The reply I had from the Ministry of Defence in 1969 when I first became interested in the crash states "four of the crew . . were killed. One other airman was injured." That answer satisfied me until recently when a query of a menber of the public rekindled my interest in the incident.
    Your confirmation of a crew member firing bullets into the engine, being in inverted commas, appears to be a direct quotation from the Court of Inquiry. Can you tell me where I might obtain a copy of the report?
    I am most grateful to you for your information and I hope that I do not inconvenience you with my additional request.

Regards,

Bari (esztergomi333)

Thanks

Hi Bari,

The Form 1180 is a summary card created from a number of documents including the Form 412 - Court of Inquiry documentation.

In most cases the supporting documentation has either been destroyed or is not open to public scrutiny so the F1180 is the only remaining accessible primary source.

They are held at RAF Museum Hendon as microfilm rolls in the Department of Research and Information Services (DoRIS). You can request a quote for a copy of the two sided A5 size card from Hendon via the web site.

In the case of W1096 I have sent you an email with a scan of each side of the card.

Looking again at the diagonal line in the Injured box it appears similar to the slant of the characters in the date box for 11 so I am not now certain that it is the usual dash for 0 but it may be you local report of 1 injured.

Examples of surviving Form 412 - Court of Inquiry are given in the Forms section of the forum
    http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?11840-RAF-Form-412-Proceedings-of-Court-of-Inquiry

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.

Thanks

Hello Ross,

Please could you tell me what unit this aircraft was from? The serial rings bells.

Thank you
    Norman

Thanks

Hi Norman

No.405 Sqn

Regards
    Ross