Thread: Eugene Sigismund VIRPSHA

Thanks

Default Eugene Sigismund VIRPSHA

Hi
    I have came across this man, and he got me intrigued to say the least.
    Eugene Sigismund VIRPSHA also known as De Virpsha.
    As an Acting Sergeant he served with North Russian Expeditionary Force 1918-1919, his account is in National Army Museum.
    In 1920 lived at 92 A, Lexham-Gardens, W.8.
    Joined RAFVR.
    Commissioned in April 1940 with No 78204. Retired in 1954 with the rank of Squadron Leader.
    Post war he appeared in media as ex-Polish officer in RAF service. He never served PAF, but only was assigned to some Polish Squadrons as a translator.
    He authored two books, Time factor, and Southern Africa and the Indian Ocean. A study in power strategy, and also translated Antoni Ekart's Vanished without Trace. The story of seven years in Soviet Russia (together with Egerton Sykes).
    Died 1969 in London, England.
    He married Olga Soulkovsky Virpsha, who died in 1975 in London.
    They had a daughter Marina De Virpsha - Clark, born Surrey, who then had daughters Alexandra and Carolyn M Clark.
    That was about all I was able to find about him. I would be most interested in his date and place of birth and names of parents, but also any other details are welcome.
    Thanks
    Franek

Thanks

Hi Franek, his WW1 service record on ancestry has his place of birth as Samara, Russia, 19th October 1887. His next of kin is given as Olga.

I'll see if there's anything else!

Cheers,

Tom
    Last edited by thorne83; 24th May 2012 at 07:54.

Thanks

Thanks Tom, does it mean he served British forces during WWI?

Thanks

Yep, Acting Sergeant Eugene Virpsha (185874), Machine Gun Corps. Enlisted 2nd August 1918 - his trade or calling is 'Russian Embassy Official'. Embarked at Dundee, 13th November 1918 and arrived in Archangel 1st December 1918. 'Embarked for England final evacuation', 27th September 1919, at which time he appears to be listed as member of 252 Company, MGC.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks

Thanks
    I have found that there was a certain doctor G. F. Virpsha, seemingly pioneering sypho issues, who helped to establish an R-C church in Samara. I guess he could have been Eugene's father. Unfortunately, no first name anywhere.
    It also seems Eugene published an article, British legal provisions governing the manufacture and supply of ammunition in a (Russian) Journal of Finance, Trade and Industry, #43/1917.
    So, few bits more on him.
    Best wishes
    Franek