Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Charlie Fox of 412 Squadron

Thanks

Default Interview with Charlie Fox of 412 Squadron

We discussed this at length some time ago, thought I would stir things up again. Some of you may have seen this, it is a video of a recent interview with Charlie Fox, discussing his claim to have strafed Rommel. He admits that in his log book that day he wrote "Rommel?" (with a question mark).

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/TheaterScreen.php?Movie=gq1sru28ufk

Some other interesting interviews with RCAF veterans at the same site.

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

Hi Bill

I digress slightly, but would you happen to know with whom Charlie was flying with when his No.2 fired on a Meteor in error for a Me262? I believe this was late December 1944 in the Manston area.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Sorry Brian, don't know. I assume you have read the brief review of Charlie's talk at the London IPMS, where he describes this incident, which took place on 1 January 1945.

http://www.ipmslondon.ca/old%20site/ipmslondon.tripod.com/modelingarticles/id8.html

Does somebody have access to the 412 Squadron ORB?
    Last edited by Bill Walker; 30th March 2008 at 22:07. Reason: added link to IPMS article

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

Hi Bill

No, I haven't seen the piece mentioned - and I can't find it with the reference you gave me!

I've had a look at 412's ORB and it's not mentioned!

Do you know how I can contact Charlie? Does he have an e-mail address?

Thanks for any leads you may give me.

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Brian;

The link works for me, in Netscape. You might have to replace "%20" with a blank in Windows Internet Exploder. Here is the relevant text, courtesy of the London (Ontario) IPMS.

"The other incident happened on January 1st, 1945, when Charlie and another pilot were ferrying replacement aircraft to their base at Nijmegen. Bad weather, coupled with the Luftwaffe's Bodenplatte attacks, forced them to divert to Manston, where 616 Squadron RAF was flying Meteor jet fighters. Although, as tech officer, Charlie knew of the existence of Allied jets, his wingman did not, and suffered from the "jet fear" which the Me-262 and Ar-234 had generated among Allied flyers. Hence, as they were in the circuit awaiting their turn to land at Manston, Charlie's wingman became quite concerned when he spotted a jet flying nearby. After repeatedly warning Charlie, "Leader, jet, 3 oclock," he broke off to attack the Meteor (Charlie was unable to risk breaching security by telling his wingman that it was a British jet). His wingman put a single 20mm round through the Meteor's tail before he was convinced to break off the attack. "

I would suggest you get in touch with the London IPMS through their homepage http://www.ipmslondon.ca/ , or Mike Henninger at Aerial Visuals, http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/index.php , for contact info.

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

Many thanks, Bill, much appreciated

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

G'day Brian

I will be having dinner with Charlie on the 26th of this month. Would you like me to contact him for you? He's a pretty easy going guy and would probably correspond with you.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

Hi Chris

That's great, many thanks. Actually, I am really only interested in the name of his wingman who fired at the Meteor. I am writing a couple of volumes on aerial friendly fire incidents, as you may know, and have an account from the Meteor pilot involved. The name of Charlie's wingman would more or less complete my write-up.

Over to you, Chris.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers
    Brian

Thanks

Default Charley Fox's Wingman

Hi Brian

I just got off the phone with Charlie.

Charley's wingman in the Meteor incident was Flying Officer Sy Simmons.

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default Charlie Fox

Many thanks Chris - minor mystery now solved!

Should you be in touch with Charlie again, please convey my thanks for this disclosure.

Cheers
    Brian