Thread: Burmese Spitfires Red Herring?

Thanks

Default Burmese Spitfires Red Herring?

Could anyone shed any light on the true nature of this News headline back in April purporting that up to 20 Spitfires were buried in crates under a former WW2 airfield in Burma.

I have now read (elsewhere) that the whole story is lacking proper credibility, and that in fact the publicity was hyped up to maybe get past political hurdles to dig what is actually probably just a pile of bulldozed aircraft remains stuffed into bomb craters at the end of the war and that there has been here a case of 'Burmese whispers' or something similarly far fetched that was by the time it got into the Daily Mail metamorphosed into a cache of spanking new Spitfires buried in waxed paper like nothing ever found before

Can anyone set this record straight please?

Dave
    Last edited by david cullen; 24th May 2012 at 00:53.

Thanks

Hi David,

There is an extensive thread running over on Flypast Historic forum that has explored to nausea all the rumour/guesswork/fact to the extent that I do not feel inclined to give any additional storage space on RAFCommands to this topic.

A similar muti forum thread is the "P-40 in the Sahara" where all the furums contain little new information, only regurgitated posts.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I agree the flypast forum contains alot of idle gossip Ross.
    But Id asked if thered been any news from the 'front'
    I was not wanting to make presumptions any more than the next man
    Perhaps if there is something concrete to reveal I could be permitted to hear it on here?