Thread: Identity of FC intruder that claimed Bf110 on 30/31.7.43?

Thanks

Default Identity of FC intruder that claimed Bf110 on 30/31.7.43?

Dear all,

A Fighter Command intruder claimed a Bf110 G-4 of 5./NJG1 destroyed near St. Trond on 30-31 July 1943, the German pilot was killed on baling out. Who can give me the identity of this intruder?

Cheers & thanks, Theo

Thanks

Do you have a time of the engagement? From my notes, no FC aircraft claimed an e/a that night but a 418 crew did not return.

Stephen

Thanks

Hi Both,

So far as I can tell, the 418 Sqn aircraft was brought down by the gunners of a KG 53 bomber, close to the field at Orleans, quite a distance from St Trond.

Thanks

I have the following additional; info:

The Bf110 G-4 of 5./NJG1 was shot down by an intruder immediately after take off from St. Trond for a second Welle (wave) patrol in Raum 6B at 00.10 hrs.

Hopefully this will help to establish the identity of the British intruder!

Cheers, Theo

Thanks

Hi Theo,

Did some snooping around with my credit card (the beer helped), and I now believe this one may have been attributed in error to a Mosquito. A 605 Sqn crew reported that "At 00.20 an aircraft was seen to flare up and descend in flames and burst seven miles north-east of St. Trond." The Mossie then went on to bomb the estimated position of the flarepath with 2x250-lb bombs.

I suppose the Luftwaffe connected the loss of their aircraft with the intruder which was clearly present in the area, but which in fact had nothing to do with the loss.

Will email you the Form 541 file.