Thread: Defiants lost at 10 A.G.S in 1943

Andy Guest

Default Defiants lost at 10 A.G.S in 1943

Near where I live there is an unknown airman buried - the only information on his headstone is that he was Royal Air Force (not RAAF/RCAF etc.) and buried August 24th, 1943.

Does anyone know the identity of the crew of BP Defiant N3449 from 10 A.G.S. which crashed in the sea in August, 1943 or, alternatively, are there any other R.A.F. Walney crashes from not too long before this date?

Best wishes.

Andy.

Thanks

Andy,

According to 'The Defiant File - Alec Brew' N3449 10 AGS was lost 20/8/42 crashed in sea 1 mile north of Millom. P/O J.F Mackie & LAC G Bradshaw killed

Mark

Thanks

If there is a Millom connection, you might try the RAF Millom Museum at:-

http://rafmillom.co.uk/

They might(?) have further information.

Stewart McLoughlin

Andy Guest

Thanks for the replies guys - doesn't look like it is a candiadate as both crew are buried in the UK.

I actually got the information from the RAF Millom museum years ago but may have subsequently got my notes mixed up. Were there any other Defiants lost (at sea) from Walney in the preceeding months?

Cheers.

Andy.

Thanks

Hi Andy.. I av defiant n3449 out of 10ags ..1545pm 20th Aug 42..engine failure over duddon estuary crash to see both drown..p/0mackie and lac Bradshaw..mackie recovered same day? Bradshaw 48 hrs later.thamx mark