Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SAAF Air Schools.

Thanks

Default 45 Air school

I see that the school was open from 18/9/1940 to 29/4/1943, however my fathers logbook shows that he was flying there from July to September 1943

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/13n4ZFG2qYHXzQP0K2GVl9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=d irectlink

kevin

Thanks

The dates given above for the unit are those where the ORBs are held under AIR 54 at The National Archives, Kew, London.

In fact No.45 Air School ceased training of RAF, SAAF, RAAF, Greek, Belgian and Rhodesian Air Observers on 21st June 1945 before finally disbanding on 21st August 1945.

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Default Flight lieutenant George Bernard (Taffy) Edwards

My father was a flying instructor at Standerton Airfield between 1941 and 1944. He had an interest in photography and had a photo album of his time in South Africa. He died in 2005. My mother kept the album but has become very forgetful in her old age, we now believe she has thrown the photo album out. It contained lots of photos of my dad at that time and later when he flew a spitfire taking recognisance photos during the last year of WW2.
    I am trying to find some photos of him or photos he took but don't really know where to start.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Regards, Helen Boden

Thanks

Hi,

I note there are no records post-1943.

My Great Uncle died UT at this training school in 1944 (see thread http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?122-22-SFTS-Vereeniging-death-1944&p=87435&posted=1#post87435)

Is there some other location at TNA that might help me track down further information?

Many thanks,

Thanks

My Father's records indicate he attended No.48 Air School in South Africa from the 6th December 1941 to 23rd January 1942 when he was posted to No.41 Air School. You don't show a No.48 Air School here. Are his records incorrect or is this list missing some.

Also, the "courses" list on the records say he attended no.8 A/Nav course at No.41 Air School while you state it was a bombing and gunnery school. He was an Air Bomber by trade, but I had assumed that this was a secondary navigation qualification and No.48 was the bombing course. More questions than answers as the saying goes!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike4898 View Post
    My Father's records indicate he attended No.48 Air School in South Africa from the 6th December 1941 to 23rd January 1942 when he was posted to No.41 Air School. You don't show a No.48 Air School here. Are his records incorrect or is this list missing some.

Also, the "courses" list on the records say he attended no.8 A/Nav course at No.41 Air School while you state it was a bombing and gunnery school. He was an Air Bomber by trade, but I had assumed that this was a secondary navigation qualification and No.48 was the bombing course. More questions than answers as the saying goes!

On the back of this, I have the same question re a relative's service record showing he attended No.48 Air School.

Is this school missing from this thread on the basis of lack of information?

Thanks in advance.

Nick