Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was Flight 1680 Abbotsinch, Scotland?

Thanks

Default What was Flight 1680 Abbotsinch, Scotland?

At the back of my Dad's log book where he lists units/service record he has "1680 Sqdn Abbotsinch, Scotland April-July 1943". I beleive meaning Flight not Sqdn. He was a coastal command hampden pilot (RCAF). Earlier while at 5(c) OTU Turnberry he required a couple of operations due to sinus issues/bleeding at altitude and never completed OTU. His service file from Canada does not provide any info on 1680?

Does anyone know what this would have been?

TIA
    Rodger

Thanks

Rodger

'Flying Units of the RAF' records No.1680 (Western Isles Communication) Flight, later No.1680 (Transport) Flight as having been formed at Abbotsinch on May 24th 1943, it took its later title in April 1944 and was disbanded at Prestwick in February 1946.

It seems to have operated a number of types in the transport role, the basic list given includes Dragon Rapide / Dominie, Fokker XXII, Walrus, Harrow, Wellington, Anson, Oxford and Dakota. There were probably a few more as well.
    Last edited by alclark; 29th May 2012 at 23:15.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Just to add that RAF Flying Training and Support Units has expanded the description to state: "to take over the Western Isles functions of the station flight , ferrying VIPS to the Hebrides, Orkney and Shetland Isles".

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Thank you Pete and alclark. Follow up - other than ferrying around VIPS what was the role of a Communications Flight?

Thanks
    Rodger

Thanks

Hi Roger, does yoru fathers log book record aircraft types and their serial numbers? It might be interesting, useful for members if you could transcribe them.

Would make a digital copy available on flickr or a photo hosting site?
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

The Western Isle Communications Flight was certainly more than a VIP taxi service, it was there to transport personnel and stores to and from the many island air stations and military bases. If Army or Navy personnel needed to get out to the islands they were often flown.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Not sure I'm doing this correctly but here goes;

Service Record

List of Aircraft Flown

He also flew the Bolingbrook (5 B&G School - Dafoe Sask Canada) which for some reason does not list at the end of his logbook. I have a digital copy of his logbook where he list the aircraft serial numbers - its 95 pages. I don't know why but while at 1680 flight he does not have any entries in his log book but we know he was flying. It was around this time that his old crew re-crewed up, completed OTU and were stationed at 415 squadron. His navigator (and new all RCAF crew), also from Saskatoon, was killed on active ops - he always felt responsible for that.

After it was clear he would not be medically cleared to resume OTU he eventually returned to Canada and became a staff pilot at Dafoe until discharge Jan 1945 - Dafoe, like most of the BCATP bases, were closing down.

Cheers
    Rodger
    Last edited by Jagan; 24th May 2019 at 15:13. Reason: trying to get images to display

Thanks

The Flight flew an inter-connecting island passenger and freight service going from Abbotsinch to Stornoway (Isle of Lewis) then to the islands of Benbecula and Tiree before returning to Abbotsinch.

Apart from service personnel going to and from leave, the aircraft carried uniformed personnel like Police, ARPs, Home Guards, etc. Civilians engaged in war work like construction personnel/engineers were also transported. Freight was also carried.

The public used Rapides flown by Scottish Airways.

On 3 July 1943 a Fokker XXII of Flight 1680 crash landed on mudflats after taklng off from Tiree for Abbotsinch. The aircraft burst into flames and all 20 crew and passengers aboard perished.

Thanks

Perhaps this Flight also acted as "mailman" for outying units, including service and/or civilian mail and perhaps also secret orders, etc. Be a shame to carry a few passengers and then entrust "the mail" to a perhaps (infrequent) shipping service.
    David D

Thanks

Gentlemen,
    Thank you all for responding to this. My Dad and his twin were both RCAF stationed in the UK. I have reasearched their respective service histories and this was the only unit, until now, I could not find any information at all.

Cheers
    Rodger