Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What was Flight 1680 Abbotsinch, Scotland?

Thanks

If you can't find the Bolingbroke in his final summary, perhaps it is listed there as Blenheim IV?

Thanks

Thanks Graham, checked and no mention of the Blenheim in the summary section at the end of his logbook either

Cheers
    Rodger

Thanks

Default 1680 Flt

Quote Originally Posted by rmventuri View Post
    At the back of my Dad's log book where he lists units/service record he has "1680 Sqdn Abbotsinch, Scotland April-July 1943". I beleive meaning Flight not Sqdn. He was a coastal command hampden pilot (RCAF). Earlier while at 5(c) OTU Turnberry he required a couple of operations due to sinus issues/bleeding at altitude and never completed OTU. His service file from Canada does not provide any info on 1680?

Does anyone know what this would have been?

TIA
    Rodger
    Hi Rodger, just seen your old posting. My father flew as W/O with 1680Flt at Abbotsinch from 1941-1944 before it was transferred to Prestwick. As Alan Clark said in his reply the airplanes mentioned were flown in. My father's log books show he flew to 50 different sites in Scotland as well as Wales/England/Ireland plus Iceland. Papers show they were knicknamed "rock hoppers" as they often landed on beaches between tides ,one mentioned is the island of Barra where Compton Mckensie would meet them wearing a kilt and giving them a drop of whiskey! other times landing on the island of Sollas where they had to fly low to move cattle and circle to land in a field. Other trips to Radar stations on the Orkney Islands and surrounding areas.
    Hope this helps, Fred Crawley

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Here's a snippet re 1680 Flight operations, in this case at RAF Benbecula:

Fortress pilot Flg Off Lawrence M Nelson also recalled the incessant wind:

A de Havilland Rapide arrived periodically from the mainland on the mail run. The pilot would frequently have to almost hover into wind until ground crews could grab the wingtips and tail, after which he cut the engines and the Rapide settled the few feet to the ground where it was secured with stakes and ropes. When the pilot took off, the crew held the aircraft down until the engines were at full power... when released, it would gradually gain sufficient height to enable it to be turned safely.

Robert

Thanks

Hi Robert, can you help as having lots of trouble working Nat.Archives.site. You kindly gave a snippet on 1680 Flt operations, as my late father flew with the flight from 1941 to 1945 I have tried to find more info but to no avail. As you have sone? info on this can you advise me how to get hold of the Flights records?

Many thanks Fred Crawley

Thanks

Dear Rodger,
    I would be interested to receive information about the operation of the Fokker F XXII at 1680 (WIC) Flight. Scottish Aviation had two Fokker F XXIIs and these were impressed as HM159 (G-AFXR) and HM160 (G-AFZP). Both were transferred to No24 Squadron at Hendon. From the ORBs it looks like only HM159 flew for the squadron. No record of any flights can be found in the ORB of HM160. Could it therefor be that this Fokker F XXII remained in Prestwick and flew (on charter? on loan) to 1680 Flight and was later joined by HM159. Both aircraft were transferred to 1680 Flight on 1 October 1942. I would be interested to hear if the log book shows any entries of any of the two Fokker F XXIIs. And if so, would it be possible to get a copy of those flights? I am writing a book called "The Fokker Fours", which deals with the four-engine Fokker-aircraft: F-32 (USA), F XXXVI and F XXII, as well as all the projects.

Rob
    Kind regards
    Rob Mulder
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    Articles and books for those interested in aviation: www.europeanairlines.no

Thanks

Hi Rob, after seeing your message to Rodger I can confirm that my late father flew as W/Op in Fokker HM159 through 1942/1943 on 4 occasions whilst based at RAF Abbotsinch. Hoping it will help I am taking the liberty of e-mailing you copies of the entries in his log book

Fred Crawley

Thanks

Hi Fred

Well received thank you. I will mention them in the book.

Regards
    Rob
    Kind regards
    Rob Mulder
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    Articles and books for those interested in aviation: www.europeanairlines.no

Thanks

Fred,

That's all I have, part of a broader reminiscence of a 206 Sqn pilot based at Benbecula.

Re the NA site, I see the 1680 Flt ORB has not been digitized yet but can be ordered if you so desire:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ref=AIR+29/881

Good luck,

Robert

Thanks

Fred:

One more item: It would be worth you looking out for The Hebrides at War by Mike Hughes, published in Edinburgh by Birlinn. Lots of atmospheric wartime shots of the Hebrides plus an in-flight shot of an unidentified Dominie of 1680 Flt 'coming into Tiree'.

A piece of adjoining text reads: 'We mostly flew de Havilland Rapides [Dominies] but also made use on an old Dutch Fokker 22 aircraft. This large four-engined plane even landed on the beach at Bara on occasion [to pick up some of the cargo from the SS Politician] but came to grief carrying RAF men home on leave from the Hebrides when it crashed into West Loch Tarbert in July 1943.'

There may be other references to the Flight in the book but there's no index.

Interesting to read up on the SS Politician too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Politician

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 24th May 2019 at 23:55. Reason: Typo