Thread: 3 Sqn Hurricane I QO-J 1940...serial number?

Thanks

Default 3 Sqn Hurricane I QO-J 1940...serial number?

Hello everyone

In 2010, 3 Squadron commemorated the anniversary 0f the Battle of Britain by adding WW2 Squadron codes to some of their Eurofighters. Amongst them was ZJ941, which was adorned with 'QO-J' commemorating the Hurricane flown by P/O John Lonsdale RAFVR who flew this Hurricane during the Battle. He shared in the destruction of a He-111 in the Pentland Firth area in July 25.

Is there a record of the serial of this Hurricane?

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Default 3 Squadron Hurricane

LONSDALE was flying P2859 on that sortie. Along with JONES on P2864 they made up Red Section and the He111 was as follows:

Wettererkundungsstaffel 1 Heinkel He111H-3. Both engines disabled in attacks by F/O D.A.E. Jones and P/O J. Lonsdale of No.3 Squadron during weather reconnaissance sortie and crashed in sea off Pentland Firth 8.30 a.m. FF Gefr Paul Müller killed, BM Uffz Albert Bauch, BO Uffz Roman Freitag, and BF Fw Walter Loch all missing. BO Reg. Rat. Ernst Franken unhurt - took to dinghy and captured 12 miles off Rora Head by RN destroyer. Aircraft T5+AL 100% write-off.
    The bodies of Paul Müller and Roman Freitag were both recovered from the sea off the Orkneys and buried at St Olaf Cemetery, Kirkwall, on August 6.

Thanks

That's great Peter, many thanks indeed.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Just a slight aside BO Reg. Rat. Ernst Franken was the meteorologist on this aircraft. If I've identified the correct man he became a noted climatologist in Germany after the war and was still publishing articles in 1976. Whilst there might be an obituary for him in Germany (which might add to the account) I've not been able to trace it.

Brian

Thanks

Simon,

Loch was fatally wounded during the action but the four other crew members survived the ditching, although two had been wounded. A rough sea and force 5 wind made it imposisible for the survivors to get into the dinghy and three were soon overcome by their injuries and hypothermia. The last man, Franken, managed to continue holding on to the dinghy and was more than fortunate to be found by "a large vessel with many guns and a kite floating above".

I have Franken's full account, taken from "Wekusta" by Kington and Selinger, should you be interested.

Brian

Thanks

Brian

Yes please, I'd be very interested to see it, if that's okay.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Email sent

B

Thanks

E-mail received...many thanks once again.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Brian,

I have just seen this post while looking for serials of the two Hurricanes, I am a member of the Aviation Research Group Orkney and Shetland and would be very interested in seeing that account by Franken if you could please?

My e-mail: the.dukeof(AT)gmail.com

I have Lonsdales combat report if you are interested.

Regards
    Dave.