Thread: Wick ORB & Appendices

Thanks

Default Wick ORB & Appendices

Probably a long shot, but would anyone have AIR 28/915 (Wick ORB for Sept 1939 to Dec 1943), or AIR 28/929 (Wick Appendices for Oct - Dec 1941) please?

Brian

Thanks

I have some entries from AIR 28/915, and photos of the pages they were on. Is there anything in particular you're after?
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thanks for the quick response Alan.

1406 Met Flight was established at Wick at some time during 1941; Sturtivant records it as being on 9 May, but there's an unpublished typewritten document in the Met Office Archives that gives 24 April with 1+1 Spitfires. The latter also records that the unit did not start flying until October 1941.

My guess is that the April and May dates came from statements of intent rather than action, and that 1406 didn't come into being physically until late September or October.

Unfortunately there is no ORB for 1406, and I'm wondering (hoping) that there might be some reference to the unit in either the Wick ORB or Appendices. A word associated with 1406 is PRATA - an acronym for PRessure And Temperature Ascent - basically the pilot would Ascend quickly to 30000+ ft recording the Temperature at fixed PRessure levels.

So I'm really looking for any reference between April and December 1941 to any of 1406 Met Flight/ PRATA/ or special met flight.

I should add that the unnamed person who put together the Met Office document obviously had a very good knowledge of all Met Flights and Met Reconnaissance Squadrons, and his summary included short-lived operations such as those conducted by 131 OTU flying Catalinas out of Killadean during November and December 1943.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Brian

Thanks

Hey Brian

Original message removed: I was just saying I'll send you Wick's ORB for 15-24 October 1939 via e-mail as it's all I have, but then realised reading above that it's actually not going to be aby use to you whatsoever, so won't send it after all. Sorry!

Regards
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve Brew; 8th June 2012 at 22:34. Reason: Removed original message
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

I'm grateful for the thought Steve.

Brian

Thanks

I've checked through what I've got and found no reference to 1406 Flt, I think the best chance of finding something would the appendices.
    Alan Clark

Peak District Air Accident Research

http://www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk/

Thanks

Thank you Alan, I'm grateful. I've been putting an NA visit off for a while now, but a couple of ther things that have come mean mean I can't delay any longer.

Brian