At 0430 DBST on 4 June 1944, Isenhower accepted the weather for the preferred date for D-day, the 5th, would be unacceptable and postponed the assault. At about 0515 DBST a signal was broadcast advising vessels already at sea to seek safe havens or return to harbour.

According to "The Struggle for Europe" (Chester Wilmot; Collins, 1954) one convoy didn't receive the message and a seaplane was dispatched to turn it back. In fact Wilmot had sought comments on the draft of his book from Air Marshal Sir James Robb, and he advised that this was never the case (AIR37/1124A). In subsequent correspondence in the same file Wilmot claims he based the statement on advice from the Admiralty that indicated a Walrus was the type of aircraft used for the recall. The convoy had sailed from Dartmouth and its probable position when found was west of the Isle of Wight, possibly south of Portland.

I'd like to sort this ought, was a Walrus dispatched, or not. Assuming a Walrus was used I'd appreciate suggestions as to its probable base or squadron - I can then go to the relevant ORB(s).

Brian