Thread: more accident reports

Thanks

Default more accident reports

Gentlemen,

15 May 1944 Time 1316 hours, Air Base APO NO. 838
    P-36 serial 43-109006, Station Lima, Peru
    Peruvian Air Force
    Crew: 2nd Lt. Luis (NMI) Yabar, Peruvian Air Force
    Assigned to Peruvian Air Force, Lima Peru, under orders of Peruvian Air Attache, Washington, DC
    Cleared from David, R. de P. to Air Base, APO 838.
    Weather CFR for ferry flight.

From Ensign L. Yabar Davila G., Peruvian Air Force, dated 16 May 1943

1. On completing the David-Rio Hata run and in conformity with action taken by the Squadron Leader regarding directions received from the Rio Hato radio tower, we broke formation in order to get in line for landing as prescribed in your memorandum dated 28 April 1944.
    2. At the order to lower landing gear and take proper interval, I lowered mine, locking it immediately, and taking my place in line with the Squadron Leader at 2 miles interveal. I set my propellor pitch at 2,400 rpm, rich mixture, and using the reserve tank I proceeded to effect my landing. Approaching the field, setting flaps at 45 degrees and holding the plane at a gliding speed of 115 miles, when at an altitude of 20 meters above the ground I felt the plane lose altitude and gave it the gun, making a two-point landing, running thus about 40 meters when I felt the right landing gear slowly giving way; trying to recover normal position was impossible, since the right landing gear had given way completely and the right wing was touching the ground. I proceeded to switch off the ignition and close the gas line, at the same time that the plane was making a 180 degree turn, pivoting on the right wing and left wheel.
    3. Damage to the plane was as follows: tip of right wing bent, right aileron damaged, right flap bent, all three propellor blades bent back 3 inches from the tips, and main stringer of the right wing, supporting landing gear arm, broken.
    4. On investigation by the Engineering Officer it was found that one of the pins joining the landing gear to the wing block was unfastened and hanging loose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

While delving through the files of several ferry groups at USAFHRA, Maxwell AFB, AL I located several newsletters detailing various accidents. They do not list the serial number, only the aircraft type, crew, and brief description of the accident. I do not know if they are worth posting on this forum. I will submit a few samples.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    On 22 July 1944, a P-51D piloted by 2nd Lt. James G. Powell exploded in mid-air near Abilene, Texas and crashed with a resulting fatality to the pilot. No information can be furnished indicative of the causes.

On 7 July 1944, 2nd Lt. John P. Adler, 306th Ferrying Squadron was seen flying his P-40 approximately twenty feet above the surface of the Missouri River near Hermann, MO. The propeller struck the water, breaking the shaft. Lt. Adler pulled his ship up and attempted a forced landing in a nearby field. The aircraft crashed and caught fire, resulting in fatal injuries to the pilot.

On 14 July 1944, F/ O Robert T. McManeus, 74th Ferrying Squadron, flying a TP-40 enroute from Tullahoma, Tennessee, 160 miles to Atlanta, Georgia, landed at LaGrange Municipal Airport. The pilot was a wingman in a three-ship formation. The weather forecast on the clearance indicated scattered showers along the route with lowering ceilings. Notification of a thunderstorm at Atlanta was received en route, causing the flight leader to alter his course to the right. After an hour and fifiteen minutes, the flight arrived over the La Grange Airport. The flight leader circled the airport and the wing men fell back from the formation, preparatory to landing. The flight leader, seeing that the airport was under construction, headed for Lawson Field, Ft. Benning, Georgia. The wing men did not see him leave and being low on fuel, landed at LaGrange. F/O McManeus made two unsuccessful attempts to land. On first approach, he pulled up because the other wing man was landing in the opposite direction. He overshot the 5,000 foot runway on his second attempt, as his approaches were downwind. On his third attempt he landed downwind, halfway down the runway.
    In effecting this landing, a road scraper was struck with major damage to the aircraft. The pilot received no injuries.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Is it worth posting more examples of accidents on this forum from the newsletters? Without serial numbers, the reports have no historical value?
    Norman Malayney
    Last edited by norman malayney; 27th March 2008 at 01:59.

Thanks

This is very interesting!

Thanks

Norman,

In answer to your query "Is it worth posting more examples of accidents on this forum". My response is "No". While your accident/incident posts are very interesting they are of American origin do not contain any any information relating to the theme of this forum, "the RAF and Commonwealth Airforces".
    Last edited by Ken MacLean; 27th March 2008 at 17:57.

Thanks

Hallo Norman,

While Ken may be correct in a strict sense about this forum, your posts are of great value and interest. They help one obtain a better idea of what can be found in the USAAF archives, not least for the less well-known units. Please keep it up !

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Bart FM Droog Guest

Hello Norman,

A more logical place to post this interesting material is in the relavant category on the <a href='http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/'>Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum</a>, also known as TOCH Forum.

Regards,

Bart

Thanks

As mentioned, this post belongs on another forum, the TOCH being the most logical.

However, I was specially interested in the P-36 report. Wonder if this could be one of the ex- Norwegian Hawk A-8's used in Little Norway and returned to the USAAF in 1943. They were redesignated P-36G and some were delivered to the Peruvian A.F.

Stein

Thanks

Norman:

Your previous post regarding UK USAAF accidents most certainly WAS of interest. If I wanted to pick an excuse for the inclusion of this gen on the RAF Commands forum out of the air, it would be that some occurred on what was still technically "Air Ministry Property" in the UK !

DLTBGYD,

Regards,

BC