Thread: Loss of Blenheim N6174 101 Sqn 25.7.40

Thanks

Default Loss of Blenheim N6174 101 Sqn 25.7.40

Greetings all,

While carrying out research for the pilot’s family here in NZ I have two questions I would like to ask.

1. Has there been any extra information come to light on the loss of Blenheim N6174 of 101 Squadron 25 July 1940 other than what is written in Errol Martyn’s & Bill Chorley’s great books?

2. I am being a bit greedy for answers possibly, the pilot, Rupert Edward SHORT, RNZAF, carried out one other operational flight prior to his demise, Has anyone seen the ORB for 101 Squadron and would know of the other operational flight prior to 25 July 1940 he took part in please?

A lot to ask but answers would be app0reciated, thanks.

Digger.

Thanks

Hi Digger,

Not being greedy at all. I can help you with your second question.

This portion of the 101 Squadron ORB is online.

http://www.156squadron.com/101Sqn/display_squadronlog.asp?yearz=1940&monthz=07

22 July 1940 Boulogne: Six A/C were prepared to take off under 2 G.O.I 12 to attack shipping on and around the Dutch coast. During the morning unfavourable weather reports were received about the conditions over the North Sea and it was decided in view of favourable reports from Group about conditons over the North Coast of France to despatch the A/C to attack the aerodromes there:

N6174 P/O Short t/o 1219 hrs, returned 1340 hrs. Comments: to attack aerodromes at Boulogne but returned owing to lack of cloud cover.

Same crew as 25 July.

I have a digital copy of the entire ORB at home and can email you the pages with Rupert Short and crew if that will be of assistance?

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 14th June 2012 at 01:58.

Thanks

Hallo Arthur,

I have the 101 Squadron ORB for 1940.

On 22 July 1940 P/O Short, with Sgt. Parkinson and Sgt Gibson, in N6174 took off at 1219 hours to attack an aerodrome at Boulogne but returned owing to lack of cloud cover and landed back at 1340 hours.

According to the ORB N6174 on its last mission took off at 1620 hours "to effect a weather recce. over the English Channel and Cherbourg, and if favourable to bomb oil target at Cherbourg". Nothing else.

Hope this helps,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Well done Dave and Martin,

I do appreciate your answers, I just popped into my 'signal office' before dinner and met up with your replies, both of which will help a awdful lot, thanks.

Cheers from a rather cold Auckland,
    Digger.