Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancaster III, DV192 HW-Z of No 100 Sqn FTR 28 Apr 44

Thanks

Default Lancaster III, DV192 HW-Z of No 100 Sqn FTR 28 Apr 44

Hello All,

I am looking for the circumstances surrounding the loss of this a/c. 6 members of the crew are at They-sous-Montfort Cemetery (CWGC). One member, however, evaded (Sgt N Thom) – did he parachute before the crash?

Also looking for the Birth Reg details of William John Bell (172301) aged 21. Think he was the Captain – but I can’t get him to come up in Eng & Wales.

TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter

http://francecrashes39-45.net/page_fiche_av.php?id=349 suggests that Bell was from Newbury, Berkshire (assuming my French / English translation is correct!!) ... this information may well be taken from CWGC so may not move you forward.

I am not sure if there is any other information on the site that may help with your other queries, but it maybe a useful start.

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 14th June 2012 at 14:16.
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

PeteT, Tks,
    You are correct! What I'm trying to discover is that while 6 members of the crew are buried in separate graves (i.e. they were identified - pic at http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10665291) in They-sous-Montfort how did Sgt Thom avoid the prang (which, presumably, killed all the other members of the crew)?
    Not a big problem, but my Local Authority is doing a history of all the War Memorial names in their 'patch'. I, for my sins (which are many!), am involved on the RAF side!
    Tks yr help
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Hello,

From WO 208/3322 report 2333, I can confirm that Norman THOM bailed out. Pilot had ordered to abandon ship, he had just donned his parachute when the Lancaster went into a dive which became a spin. Then the Lancaster exploded and he was blown away clear. After landing, he was captured by the Germans near Vittel (Lorraine) on the 28th. His captors took him to the crash site where he found the six bodies of his crewmates. He was interrogated in Vittel, then taken by train to Germany, but he escaped from a cell in Nancy on the night of the 30th, and made his way to Switzerland, where he arrived on 11th May. He left Switzerland about 12th August.

He should be mentioned in Roger Anthoine's Aviateurs-piétons vers la Suisse, but this book in written in French.

Hope this helps.

joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 14th June 2012 at 15:25.

Thanks

Joss, many thanks!
    I would say 'brilliant' but I regret that I failed my 'O' level French so this is the best I can do!! However, Google tells me that the words are roughly the same in either language - but their use may be slightly different!
    However, merci!!
    Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter, if this is the man I think it is, he also took out a German sentry as he escaped. I'm working away from home this week, but I'll be home tomorrow, I'll check my files for you buddy :-)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Hello Greg

Nice to see you here again.

Norman Thom wrote in his evasion report that he struck the german guard from behind with an iron poker, I quote "He was senseless after the first blow, but a few strikes more made certain."

So you understand that he killed the guard ? I had understood that the guard was unconscious, but English is not my natural language, so I'll go along your explanation/understanding.

Joss

Thanks

Hi Peter,

Oliver Clutton-Brock book RAF Evaders says that he hit the guard with an iron bar on the 30/4/44.

Regards,

John.

Thanks

Hi again Peter and Joss - I'm back home again now with access to my files. re-reading the EE&E Report and a few other bits I have, it doesn't actually say that he killed the guard, so my apologies for making that assumption. That said, a few taps around the back of the bonce with a poker doesn't generally do much for prolonged life expectancy!!

If you want me to copy the E&E Report for you Peter and get it in the post, drop me a PM or an email and I'll gladly do that for you this weekend.

Did anyone see the Australia v Wales game earlier? So close, yet so far. If any of you know an IRB referee who can actually set a scrum and understand how it works, could you please ask them to pop along to Sydney next weekend? Thanks :-)
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Thanks to all for input! We've got enough for what we want at the moment. Thanks Greg, but not at this time!! I may come back to you later!
    Rgds
    Peter Davies
    PS(to Greg) When I played rugby I was one of "The Girls" in the threequarter line. My father had warned me about being "A Donkey" in the scrum!!