Thread: Service Record Reason Code Letter

Thanks

Default Service Record Reason Code Letter

I have a draft theory on the derivation of Reason Code letters in F543 Service Records but need some real examples to test it.

It excludes A in a circle, X, HH, HH/H, as I want to address these elsewhere.

If you have access to a record which has a single letter code reason eg A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H (on its own), I, etc, could you please add the following info on the entry to this thread.

Essential is to say if the person was Officer or NCO aircrew or Airman/Airwoman at the time of the entry.

Next, the unit posted to or posted from that the code relates

Finally, the Reason code.

Over to you

Regards
    Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross

I currently have aircrafthand (my PAC Operator) with an F, X and what looks like G3 (or possibly a3) in the reason column.

F = from 74 wing to 73 wing (when 73 wing took over role of 74 wing)
    G3 = 78 wing to 5PDC

I will leave the X for you to follow up later; I also have a record with B on, which I will dig out

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Rank at time of first movement AC2, for clarity I have also given the movements before and after the mystery "reason codes"

3/10/1939 from School of Photography, Farnborough to 613 Squadron reason code HH

From 613 Squadron to South Wyton reason code "B"

From South Wyton to 1416 Flight reason code "Form"

From 1416 Flight to 140 Squadron reason code "K"

From 140 Squadron to 82 squadron reason - nothing stated on form, there are then another 12 movements up to Feb 1946 with no reason codes on form

Thanks

For the K Reason - can you have a look at the date of movement and see if it roughly corresponds to the award date of a good conduct badge?

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

I have over 30 records for people I've researched for their relatives and it will take a while to go through them all but here's the first batch:

Airman ACH/WOp

2 Sig Sch to Station Wyton - K
    Due to medical reasons he remunstered from aircrew to Carpenter
    10 Rad Sch to 8 SoTT - H and D2E
    8 SoTT to 571 Sqn - D2F
    571 Sqn to 9162 SE - F (13 Dec 1944)
    9162 SE to Bourn - F (24 Jan 1945)
    Bourn to Blackbushe - B (6 Jul 1945)
    Blackbushe to 162 Sqn - G12A (23 Nov 1945)

Th K code did not correspond with the award of a good conduct badge, it was three years prior

Airman ACH/Radar

34 Mu to 15 Rad Sch - D2K/17202 (22 Nov 1944)
    15 Rad Sch to 5 PDC - G3 (15 Fe 1945)
    5 PDC to 2 PDC - G3 (15 Mar 1945)

I also checked four officers and none of them have reason codes on their records

Malcolm
    Last edited by malcolm_raf; 14th June 2012 at 17:53.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    For the K Reason - can you have a look at the date of movement and see if it roughly corresponds to the award date of a good conduct badge?

Ross
    Sorry does not correspond
    1/5/41 promoted to AC1

9/41 reason code K movement

18/6/42 (first and only) Good Conduct Badge (by then with 82 Squadron and I think very shortly after their arrival in India, did not stop with them almost immediately after arrival in India he was transferred to 113 Squadron)

Thanks

Ross

I have another ground crew AC2:

B = 240 Squadron to School of General Reconnaisance

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hello Ross,

I have only just joined so please forgive me if this subject has already been exhausted. I have posted the following in another thread and thanks to members the IR.S is in all probability 1 (numeric) R.S meaning No 1 Radio School. This fits as he was a radio operator both before and after the RAF.
    I am still puzzled by the reason codes of D7E and D2L. Do you know what they mean?
    Any help would be very gratefully received.
    The data is from my uncle's service record. His name was Bernard George Barnard and he was a corporal in the RAF.
    Many thanks
    Colin

"Discharged from RAFVR [under or order] [flying?] [indecipherable] 652/22 [indecipherable] the Reg Air Force 12/12/46".

"Unit IR.S.; Reason D7E; date of movement 20/12/46"

"Unit Leuchars; Reason D2L; date of movement 11/4/47"

Quote Originally Posted by Ross_McNeill View Post
    I have a draft theory on the derivation of Reason Code letters in F543 Service Records but need some real examples to test it.

It excludes A in a circle, X, HH, HH/H, as I want to address these elsewhere.

If you have access to a record which has a single letter code reason eg A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H (on its own), I, etc, could you please add the following info on the entry to this thread.

Essential is to say if the person was Officer or NCO aircrew or Airman/Airwoman at the time of the entry.

Next, the unit posted to or posted from that the code relates

Finally, the Reason code.

Over to you

Regards
    Ross