Thread: Flt/Sgt J Pinkney, 83 Sqn

Thanks

Default Flt/Sgt J Pinkney, 83 Sqn

Hi all - the above was the Flight Engineer on 83 Sqn Lanc JA928, which went down against Schweinfurt on the night of 26/27 April 1944.

By any chance does anyone on here have a copy of his POW Liberation questionnaire? I'm hoping to find out if he came from the north east of England.

Thanks in anticipation,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Default RE: POW Questionnaire

Hello Greg,

Have you tried the WO 344 series, which are held at The National Archives in Kew? I found the POW questionnaires of my great-uncle, and also his pilot, once they were released from captivity. The WO 344 series is quite large but in alphabetical order according to surname, if I remember correctly. The records I have were for a surname beginning with H. in WO344/152 and R. in WO344/263, so I presume the record you are interest in would be located someway between these two files.

Regards,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by greg View Post
    Hi all - the above was the Flight Engineer on 83 Sqn Lanc JA928, which went down against Schweinfurt on the night of 26/27 April 1944.

By any chance does anyone on here have a copy of his POW Liberation questionnaire? I'm hoping to find out if he came from the north east of England.

Thanks in anticipation,

Greg

Thanks

Hi Greg,
    Are you a relation to J Pinkney? I have quite a bit of information on him and even a picture, if you are still interested. He was, however, not a Flight engineer. He was a Navigator. His original crew crashed in fog in Cambridge in 1943. Quite he wasnt on the crew that night is anybodys guess, but it certainly saved his life! I have an address for his sister in 1945 somewhere, from Red cross I think, after he was released from captivity. Ill dig it out if you are interested.
    Regards,
    Kiel.
    Last edited by General Rock; 18th December 2013 at 08:48.